Existing Member?

Living the Dream

A Lumbar puncture aint too bad

SINGAPORE | Friday, 26 August 2011 | Views [317]

Either the doctor is weird and finds today his highlight or he wants to get me out of here quick as 8am him and the nurse are in and ready to do the lumbar.

All curled like a ball on the bed and I am ready. Anaesthetic injections are going into my back to numb my spine. The needles going in aren’t as bad as the 3 moles I have had off where done in the very same way. Needle drip in and I can’t move a single muscle. As the fluid from my spine is taking so long to get out (the doctor requires 50 drops to carry out the testing and culture test) so he finds the time to talk to me and ask why I am here, where I live and how am I feeling today.

An hour later and the doctor has the fluid he needs, but now I am not allowed to move for the next 4 hours. Only think is I wish he had said that before hand as I now really need to pee. The nurse says I can try and pee in a bed pan (I really have no idea what that is) in about 2 hours.

So the 2 hour mark has arrived and the nurse comes in with some strange pan and tells me this goes under your bum. I can tell you now that for almost 40 minutes I tried and nothing. Poor mum, dad and Gobey are left standing outside in the hall. I just can’t do it.

The 4 hour mark is here and I can’t wait to get up to go to the toilet.  

No chance can I get up!!! The pain in my head is worse than when it started last week. I am crawling to the toilet as I really need to go but the pain is so bad. Gobey calls the nurse while I am in the toilet and when I get out she is there ready to give me morphine.  I do like morphine J

So the doctor cames back and now has the answer on what is wrong with me – I have a ripped leak in my spine caused last week and now I also have a hole leaking fluid due to the lumber puncture. So the only thing I can do now is complete bed rest till the holes are healed and I can sit up for longer than 10minutes.  But the plus side morphine twice a day for the next 4 days will help!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.