Existing Member?

Living the Dream

Are we there yet??

INDONESIA | Sunday, 26 June 2011 | Views [162]

So it was a night flight with 2 stops, and yes and the second longest stop Gobey was off the plane to have a fag. Only in Asia can you get off the plane to stretch your legs and have a fag. I on the other hand didn’t get off but stood on the plane watching the people clean it. Was different to see, but hey we are in Asia.

After the long 7 hour flight we finally land at Timika airport. It is the smallest airport EVER. (you know this when the plane has to turn at the  end of the runway after landing to then taxi back to the  terminal) There is nothing much here. 1 luggage belt for the only 2 planes that come in and out of Timika. So we stand waiting on our bags (only the 6 as of course we are still missing a bag from the UK. We left 6 days ago). So Gobey goes and gets the visitor passes and we head to the chopper check-in desk. Here they check the weight of each bag then you have to stand on the scales. It’s not good to see what your weight is after travelling for 6 days, but a goal for next time on the  chopper.

Chopper number 4 here we go. So we head to the waiting room to then get the bus to the chopper.

So we look like death warmed up, lost and scared. Other people can tell we are new to the mountain and a very nice couple came over to ask how we were, and what we were doing here. We explained we were here for the next 2 years with Gobeys contract. The couple never said their names but we have met them a few times in the market/department store since.

The day consisted of flying up the mountain, getting to the flat, dumping the cases in the living room and getting into bed to catch up with some much needed sleep. Getting back up was hard but we were going out with Gobey’s boss and wife for tea (yes there is a restaurant here). They took us to the LUPA Lelah, where our night just got tasty with a hot stone dinner. The meat was out of this world, but this could have been due to eating Junk and plane meals for the past 6 days.

After tea it was back to the flat and its bed time. Poor Gobey has work in the morning and Peter (his boss) is picking him up at 7am. Poor Gobey won’t know what’s hit him getting up at the crack of dawn – but hey WE ARE LIVING THE DREAM!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.