Existing Member?

Living the Dream

Could only happen to us!!

SINGAPORE | Wednesday, 22 June 2011 | Views [380]

We collected the passports, checked out and head back to the airport to collect our bags we left and go look for the bag that didn’t leave the UK yesterday, before we get the next flight out to Jakarta.

Gobey goes to see if the bag has arrived. This involved him going through with security to the arrivals and looking for the bag. I head down a level to get the 4 bags we left yesterday.

45minutes later as still no bag we now have the mad dash to get from T3 to T1 for our flight. Shuttle bus is on 1 level we are on another and we have no idea where we need to be.

T1 is massive and already I am panicking. The flight is due to leave in 40minutes. We finally we make it to the check in desk – and it’s CLOSED. It closes 45minutes before the flight is due to leave. We just spent the guts of an hour in T3 looking for a bag they said would be here.  So now its panic time as we have no idea what we are going to do. We already knew that Singapore’s hotels were busy with a massive communication event. And here we were stuck at the airport and no flight.

After almost 2 hours of waiting to hear back we find out there is no accommodation available for us in Singapore. But luckily the nice HR lady from Gobey’s work has kindly offered to put us up in her spare room for the night (Chateau De Bill & Steve). Good thing was we had met Ana in the afternoon, so it wasn’t some stranger meeting us for the first time.

So back to left luggage to leave the cases, another taxi back to the centre to Ana’s flat. Ana and her boyfriend were already waiting for us with a beer. And after the last 4 hours it was well deserved. We have another flight booked for the morning to Jakarta so an early night should have been on the cards. But with the company we had and the beers flowing, before we knew it, it was 3am and we had a taxi coming for us at 5am to go back to the airport. We were not missing the 0730 flight – no chance. Oh and of course the day wouldn’t be complete without a massive thunder storm. Loud, wet and very bright!!!

5am and taxi is here. Ana lives in a security gated building and we have no idea how to get out of this place with 2 cases, 2 cabin bags and 1 large handbag. So Gobey ops for the ‘over the wall’ (military days come flooding back) approach. Poor taxi driver wasn’t too impressed. It was still heavy rain from the storm and here is Gobey passing over bags. And then there was me to get over the wall. This is not living the dream!! Climbing over a wet wall at 5am in the rain doesn’t not sound or look good.

BUT HEY IF IT DIDNT HAPPEN TO US – WHERE WOULD WE GET OUR STORIES FROM!!

0545 and we make it to the airport. Bags collected (and the one from London is still not here) and we off to check in. Through to departures, Dunkin Donuts for breakfast, (plus Gobey goes on a mad dash to find a smoking lounge) on the plane and we are ready for Jakarta.  Back to living the dream.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.