Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Lisbon and Sintra

PORTUGAL | Wednesday, 6 March 2013 | Views [229]

Lisbon was not a “must do” as I have been here before and thankfully I had seen most of the sights that I wanted to see on that trip because apart from about 35minutes it poured with rain all day and so actually walking was not an option. So it was a day of trams and buses which really produced no photos worth publishing.

However my trip to Sintra did produce some photos that I will share with you. Unfortunately the weather managed to prevent me again getting my money’s worth!

I headed to the high ground above Sintra Village and visited the Palacio de Pena. An amazing Palace constructed from the remains of a 15 century monastery. Most of what you see today is Victorian, at the time, the King of Portugal, Ferdinand, was a cousin of our Queen Victoria. Whilst there is a tread of Moorish influence throughout the palace there are also many attributes brought here from the UK.  The construction and installation of fully working bathrooms, is just one example, and some of them look quite modern even by today’s standards. Like Osbourne House this palace was designed as a family home, where comfort and intimacy is evident. As photography was developed, prior to the assassination of King Carlos, the last Portuguese King, and his son Crown Prince Luis Filipe in 1908, the palace is being restored and refurbished to look just as the photo’s show. Throughout the building there are fantastic examples of Plasterwork, woodwork and Stained Glass. There are also some Canvases painted by King Carlos but unfinished due to his early demise. I have put in a couple of photo’s of the outside just to show what the weather was like, but to be fare the foggy days are promoted as detail of the allure and romance of the place.

 

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.