Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Germany, part 2

GERMANY | Saturday, 14 July 2012 | Views [382]

My journey from Poznan to Germany was punctuated with a brief stop at a town called Wolsztyn.  The reason was to see the last regular passenger train pulled by steam. As this is a big deal for the Polish railways, the timetable is arranged for the benefit of the Tourist, It departs at 5.00 O’clock AM! Yeh you can see me getting up at that time! It was quite interesting to see a real live Steam depot with a really turntable serving a Roundhouse with 8 tracks. This detour took a little less time that I expected so I arrived at my night stop at around 2.45pm, I was processed and had 10 Euros extracted before being told at 4 minutes to 3.00pm, I would have to wait 4 minutes before the Frau Gate Keeper would allow me on to the campsite. I was directed to an area of the huge campsite reserved for Campervans, I was the only one on it! All the nearby toilet blocks were locked but I found one about 5 minutes walk away so I moved the van nearer! This caused a little consternation of the ground staff, because I was now in the Caravan part and I had a campervan. The next thing I discovered was that I needed a token for the showers, so I walked back to the reception about 1 kilometre to get a token, cost 50cents for 3 minutes, The Zombi who worked in the reception spoke little or no English, in fact I think he had problems with Language of any sort, but he proceeded to rant at me in Guttural German that as I had not requested this when checking in I needed to go back to the van and bring all the documentation, plus my passport before he would sell me a token. I am not sure how I did it but I left without telling him what I thought of him, but I did say that life was too short to worry about having a shower!

Berlin I have been looking forward to Berlin for a few days now so I was eager to find a nice campsite get settled and hit the town, The first campsite I went to was a cross between a swamp and a sewerage farm, so I went to the next which turned out to be about 30 miles from Berlin with not public transport, so finally I arrived at City Camping No1, situated right at the end of Teagle Airport’s main runway, I SAID RIGHT AT THE END OF THE RUNWAY! The manager who checked me in did a wonderful job of trying not to speak English at all but even I can ask for 3 nights, 1 person in German so that upset him even more! This is turning into a rant I know but so far in 5 days in Germany I have only once had a local smile as they took my money and she turned out to be Polish! I like Berlin it is much smaller than I had thought and some of the building both new and old are wonderful. Obviously the well known ones were my main objective but some of the Soviet Block Housing in the Eastern part are impressive as well. Checkpoint Charlie is something and nothing but the Terror monument and the outdoor exhibition is very well executed (pardon the pun). I was there at 7.00pm in the pouring rain along with about 1000 other and you could have heard a pin drop! The East end Gallery where famous artist have done painting is a mess most of the art has had Graffiti written on it and the only one that “said” anything to me is in the pictures.I would have liked to go into the Reichstag to see the Dome but it would have meant queuing for an hour to register, (Photo ID needed) to get a timed ticket which was another 3 hours wait. Sorry, no can do! Only in Germany could someone come up with the idea of having a multi peddled bike on which beer is served, and only the British would ride it, The driver told me that about 80% of his customers were English or Scottish lads, I’m so proud!  One other thing I did managed to miss was to hire a Trabant, even the one pictured! Tomorrow I am going to Potsdam, I SAID TOMORROW I AM GOING TO POTSDAM!

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.