Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Frozen Fish, Nameless Trolls and Fantastic Vistas!

NORWAY | Thursday, 24 May 2012 | Views [451]

The journey from Kiruna to Narvik should have taken about 2 hours in the end it took me 6, I just had to keep stopping to take in the views. I had thought as I left Kiruna that the journey would be boring as the countryside was flat, wet and barren but about an hour in the mountains began to close in and frozen lakes lapped the road edge. What were the little black dots on the lakes? Men ice fishing! I had to stop to see. The man in the picture was maybe 50 mts. from the beech and there was no way I was going out on the ice as the edges were unfrozen and you had to wade several feet out to the solid ice. Later I was able to see that the ice was in fact still over a foot thick. I had it explained to me that the ice forms from the bottom but thaws from the top so even if there is water at the top underneath it is still frozen! I was aware that the Norwegians liked their Trolls but this one was 20ft high and by the way was for sale! Navik is situated within the Oftenfjord and was devastated when the occupational forces retreated in 1945. So as the tourist board employee puts it, it was rebuild in the “Norwegian Ugly Style” So there is little for me to say about the town, but I hope the photos portray just a little of its stunning situation! And my bedroom view for the night!

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.