Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Volcano's and "leaps"

CHILE | Monday, 5 April 2010 | Views [366]

It's Easter Sunday and you might expect in a truely Catholic Country, all the shops are:- Abierta, Open! Admitadly they did not open till about 12, and as they put the clocks back (it Autumn here)last night so they all had a good rest after the late Saturday night!

I am on Lago LLanquihue at a town Called Puerta Varas. The sky line is dominated with the Volcano Osorno in the near distance (20 KMS) The weather has improved dramatically and I have managed to get rid of the jumper!

Yesterday I went on the local bus to Petrohue about 60 kms away. this is the Chillian side of the lake with the 7 tickets. It is very different from the Argentinian side, here there is grass, crops and proper forest! In fact the grass is so good they have loads of milk cows here and Nestle have a milk processing plant nearby.

The other draw at Petrohue is that the river does not fall, or go through rapids it "Leaps" "Saltos" in Spanish. It looked like a waterfall to me but apparantly when the river is in full flood it leaps!!!! 

I've been back to Purta Montt today to have a look at the port though which I travelled the other day. The centre of the city could be anywhere in the world. Mc Donalds, KFC and Pizza Express all have a presence and all the main brands are availible at prices at, or even below the UK. But come away from the centre and it is still a developing country.

I've checked out the situation in central Chile and the plan is now to head towards Santiago stopping at Pucon and Chillan on the way. So tomorrow I catch a bus for the 6 hour Journey up the South American Highway to the Villarrica lake and the town of Pucon.

Till next time

Chow

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.