Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Over a river and back in time

URUGUAY | Sunday, 28 February 2010 | Views [307] | Comments [1]

The distance across the river plate from BA to Uraguay is over 30 miles and this is just a river! I started by stay here in a small town called Colonia Sacremento, A small rural town built by the Portuguese in the 1600's so that they could smuggle good to and from the Spanish colony in Argentina. Suffice to say the spanish were unhappy about this and took control. The town is a mix of spanish and portugese architecture and some of the properties are lovely. The river front gives a view right across the Rio Plata but you cannot see the other side only the lights at night. To say this place is laid back is an understatement, it makes Adlinfleet look like the bright lights!

Unfortunately I made my fist mistake in that I booked a Hostal recommended by Lonely Planet. For "Atmospheric" read run down and decrepide. still for £7.50 a night what do you expect.

Off to Montevidio next by bus 2 hours away!

Comments

1

Hi Peter!
Great to read all about your travels!!
I hope you were not going to go to Chile!?
Let's know that you are ok. Stay away from the Pacific coast unless you are a very good swimmer - Tsunamies and earthquakes, just like Adlingfleet - Not! When will you be in Pategonia?
Take care, Love Val X

  val scott Mar 1, 2010 4:00 AM

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.