Existing Member?

Peps and Pete Travels "On pleasure bent again"

Mulled wine on the banks of the Vlatva River

CZECH REPUBLIC | Monday, 21 May 2007 | Views [854]

The last time that I visited Prague (in 2001), I rated it as one of my favourite European cities, and it still is. Prague in the springtime is gorgeous, if a little full of tourists. It was great being there in the week leading up to easter, the city was full of little easter markets, with great stalls and fantastic (and cheap) street food!

One evening we bought mulled wine from one of the market stalls and walked along the banks of the Vlatva river as the sun was going down. It was amazing walking along and watching the sky turn blue and seeing the lights turn on and start to illuminate the city - especially seeing the spotlights come on on castle hill illuminating the castle!

We did an overnight trip to Cesky Krumlov, and it wa good to escape from the heaving mass that was Prague for a night. Cesky Krumlov was relatively deserted and we passed the time in a tea house trying shisha (with nice strawberry flavoured tobacco), savoured bavarian goulash and garlic spup, drank the best hot chocolate I have ever tasted and tried Absynthe and Becherovka. Any shot (absynthe) that rquired a burning teaspoon of sugar stirred into it does not leave me hoping for much in the taste department! But then I suppose that people don't drink it for its excellent flavour. We did take a break from eating and drinking to tak a walk around the castle - which is a pretty cool place as well!

Apparently the Czechs are the largest beer drinking nation in the world, and we can say that we drank some of the best beer of our trip in the Czech Republic - a special mention must be made of Pilsner Urquell, a standout in the beer category! And owned by South African Breweries!! We were incredibly lucky in that we got to experience Prague in a fanstactically warm spring complete with sunshine, and on days like that we like to spend our time sitting on a terrace with a nice cold beer and a good view of all the people walking past. We are tryng to get all our pics in order to do a section headlined "Peps and Pete drink Giant Beers!" 'cause we have seen and drank some monsters!

To me the Czech Republic is a blur or good weather, spring blossoms, incredible architechture and excellent food and drink. And really, what more can you hope for from a destination?

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.