Existing Member?

Paul and Pete backpacking in Asia Follow us on our big adventures!

Gokarna, Karnataka

INDIA | Sunday, 7 April 2013 | Views [1239] | Comments [1]

Wild cow enjoying the sunset on Kudlee Beach

Wild cow enjoying the sunset on Kudlee Beach

DELHI BELLY STRIKES! (Prematurely I may add since we haven't arrived there yet) but yeah, errr through the eye of a needle for 3 days ... I'll say no more.  Other than that little problem Gokarna was lovely athough a bit on the quiet side. As per usual the train leaving Palolem was not on time but after a few hours we arrived in Gokarna to sample a few more beaches. We travelled here with Nicola and Helen and decided to base ourselves at Kudlee Beach, this was where the main hub of accomodation seemed to be. After scouring a few we found ourselves a little bargain for 200 rupees a night. I think it was only the 4 of us staying there as the rest of the huts were being dismantled before the monsoons hit. We made it to the beach just in time to watch the cows walk by as the sun set. There seemed to be around 10 cows always on beach patrol looking for food.

Gokarna was non existent come night time, only handful of small cafe's that served great food but there was not a lot of options for drinks other than beer. Needless to say I was kind of off my food and drinks so I was only a bystander with the others when it came to ordering meals. One night we took a trip to Gokarna town, not an awful lot going on there either. Here we booked our overnight train to Cochi, Kerala to leave on friday night. Then we ate some cheap food and managed to find a very small and dodgey place to buy spirits. We each bought a bottle of spirits to take back to our hut to play cards. My little bottle of rum with coke went down well actually.

On our last day we hit Om Beach, we soon wished we had have based ourselves here as there seemed to be a bit more going on. I spent the first part of the day in the shade making some inroads into my new book ... The Shantaram! Then it was a bit of lounging in the sun, body surf waves then food! Dave and Jen turned up in the evening, our friends from Palolem. A cow casually strolled up and attempted to eat dave's bag of banana's that he had left near my towel as we sat on the beach. It had to be chased away!

So the next day arrived and we took a rickshaw (tuk tuk) to Gokarna Road train station, said goodbye to our first proper mates Nicola and Helen, then took the first step on our long overnight journey to Cochi.

Tags: beaches, cows

 

Comments

1

Here's a video I made of my friends and I on holiday in Gokarna, Summer 2013. https://vimeo.com/64982469.

  Anjali Apr 30, 2013 4:29 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.