Existing Member?

Paul and Pete backpacking in Asia Follow us on our big adventures!

Boracay

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 12 August 2013 | Views [1681]

 

So the woman in reception told me the journey to the airport would take about 30-45 minutes and as we were only 12km away it would be fair to say I was relaxed about catching my 08.55 flight to Boracay. I jumped in a taxi outside my hostel, we drove 2 minutes then got stuck in traffic. HEAVY city traffic. Traffic that didnt move even when the traffic lights were on green. I began to realise that it would be quicker walking so after 30 minutes I jumped out of the taxi and began frantically running through Cebu city (not actually sure what direction the airport was in). Then I jumped in another taxi but the journey took twice as long as anticipated and I missed my flight. Not impressed! I arrived 40 minutes before my flight was due to take off but the Cebu Pacific check in closes 45 minutes before take off so they wouldn't let me on! Made worse by the fact that I thought check in closed 30 minutes before take off so when I arrived at the airport at 08.15 I was delighted thinking I had made it and even tipped the taxi driver for his efforts. So I had to pay double what I'd originally paid to get another flight leaving a couple of hours later.
But when I got to Boracay the stress and tribulations of that horrible morning quickly disappeared as I checked into the most amazing hostel called Friendz resort, had a welcome beer on arrival, then headed down to the soft powder sand, stunning blue water and palm tree's at south beach. The weather was scorching as well (not bad for the rainy season!). After a day on the beach I went back to the hostel and started getting to know people. So many of the guests were solo backpackers like me and it was exactly what I was looking for but hadn't found so far in the philippines.


I spent 4 nights on Boracay and they kind of merge in together as they were all as crazy as eachother. They'd start off about 6p.m with a group of us picking up our evening meal (a fully cooked chicken on the rotisserie), some fresh bread from the bakery along with A LOT of local rum for pre drinking at the hostel before we went out. At about £1.50 a litre it was good value! Then a big group of us from the hostel would head out to one of the beach bars that were quite lively with DJ's playing and busy dance floors! Pre drinking in the hostel was a great laugh, playing pool, people playing the guitar then on the last night the hostel arranged some live music with a local philippino singer who was a little cheesey but still quite good! I spent my days chilling on either south beach or puka beach although one day 5 of us chartered a boat out and took a tour around the island stopping off at a few points to snorkel.


Boracay was a great way to finish my trip in the philippines as it had a bit of everything. On my last day I got to the airport extra early to avoid any hiccups and caught my flight to Manilla with a lot of time to spare! Next stop is Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia for 2 nights to meet back up with my bro then we begin our final trip in south east asia ... Indonesia!

Tags: palm trees, rum, stunning beaches

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.