Existing Member?

Paul and Pete backpacking in Asia Follow us on our big adventures!

Delhi

INDIA | Saturday, 27 April 2013 | Views [442]

Jama Masjid mosque

Jama Masjid mosque

On arrival at Delhi train station we were met by a self assured monkey who was strutting around like he was the station manager! Our stay in Delhi was short and sweet just as we wanted as we found it pretty hectic. We opted to stay in New Delhi, built by the british in the 1930's. We found New Delhi to be very modern with wide tree lined roads and motorists that actually obeyed traffic signals. Our room in Conaught Place was small and overpriced but as it was only 1 night we just accepted it! We spent most of our first day trying to arrange transport to our next destination, Jaipur. Delhi is just full of people trying to scam you! Everywhere you look there is 'official tourist information' places. When you enquire about transport you're bombarded with loads of questions about where you're going next, how you're getting there, what tours you want to do. Every 'official tourist information' place attempts to sell a big travel package for the rest of your trip. Patience can easily wear thin here! We'd had enough so decided to go for a few drinks and relax. And we were relaxed until we were hit with the bar bill that seemed to double after service charge, tax and vat were added! In the evening we enjoyed a few drinks and listened to some great live music, although most of the bar was cheering at the live cricket being shown on the big screen. Indian's are obsessed with cricket!

The next morning we managed to find a small travel agents and booked our bus ticket to Jaipur leaving later in the  evening. So we spent the day seeing a bit more of the city, including the national museum. Not a great choice unless you enjoy looking at coins and paintings, we were done in about 20 minutes. Later on we took a trip to Old Delhi and wondered the frantic streets. We had a bite to eat in a restaurant that had brain soup on it's menu! We just stuck to chicken biryani! After food we found a dog chewing on a severed ear, we decided it was a pigs ear as a bit further down the road we found pigs heads for sale. We visited the Jama Masjid, india's largest mosque and the mighty red fort, built by the Mughals. And that was it. Delhi done. Off to Jaipur for a second portion of Rajasthan!

Tags: chaotic city

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.