Existing Member?

The world through my eyes If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

Tour of Tasmania stages 1,2 and 3. Mishaps and lack of preparation.

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 15 December 2008 | Views [781] | Comments [2]

This wallaby wasn't so camera shy as the spiky hedgehog guy.  We had a chat.

This wallaby wasn't so camera shy as the spiky hedgehog guy. We had a chat.

Well, it's been a pretty interesting few days.  There are pictures, but they'll have to wait 'til I've found a clever computer.

the ferry ride over was a challenge, and offered a similar level of discomfort to the plane journey to Australia!  I settled for the budget option, and chose to travel in a sea view recliner.  this meant sitting next to three drunken tourists from Germany, all singing chart hits from the 90's as loudly as they could.  With hindsight, it was kind of funny.  At the time, I wasn't laughing.

The ferry pulled in to Devonport at 06:45 so I went about the business of drinking copious amounts of coffee to prepare myself for the 100km ride to Launceston. 

I took the main highway, battling the wind and appreciating the running joke that all lorry drivers seem to share, where they take great pleasure in watching me jump as they honk their horn whilst passing.  Grumble, grumble.

I was a nervous wreck by the time the welcome to Launceston sign came into view, but knew the next day would more than make up for it.

So, day two.  170kms through beautiful lavender fields, spread over the countryside like freshly laundered bedsheets, beautiful alpine views and peaceful country roads.  Sounds pretty nice eh?!  Now picture that, but with the heaviest sideways rain you could ever imagine, the headwind from hell and a rather sore saddle type area (the cycle shorts hadn't dried too well overnight in the rain).

It was a rollercoaster of a ride in more ways than one. Intoxicated by the sweet smelling lavender farms.  Aware of numb fingers.  Awestruck by a moment of eye contact with a beautiful wedgetail eagle, perched high in a tree.  Hungry and out of food.  Dazzled by a family of rainbow lorikeets flying across my path.  Annoyed by the creaking and groaning of the bike (Which idiot built that thing!)...  You get the picture.

After just 65kms of freezing cold conditions, and just as i was contemplating taking a nap at the side of the road, I came into a small township in the country called Scottsdale, where a kind landlady let me stay above her pub.  She even cleaned and dried my clothes!

By 9pm, well fed and beered, I went to bed feeling very glad of the electric blanket.

Day 3 was much better and I sauntered along, taking pictures as I went,  tracing the edges of the Dorset river, passing through old mining townships and stopping for cups of tea.  Seven hours later, and i arrived in St Helens on the east coast, where I'll stay for a day off the bike to do some sightseeing. 

Speaking of which, I'd better get on with that now.  Been sat at this computer too long and time's a wastin'.

Comments

1

Sounds like a trial of endurance rather than a balmy cycling holiday. Makes the Hell Run look positively tame by comparison and the Bog of Doom a mere ride through a tropical pool of sweet water. Admire your tenacity . Hope the next stage is easier. With love,and God go with you.x x

  M & D Dec 15, 2008 8:21 PM

2

Well lets me honest if this wasnt a challenge it wouldnt be worth doing. Super human your not but near as damn it!!! Cant wait for the next episode, somewhat envious until i read about sticky boxers, starvation and rain that slashed you to pieces and honking idiots. Lavender fields bring it on and more. Missing you bro but loving your dream XXX You better take care or believe me what your going through right now will feel like a jog in the parkXXX Would hug but have you bathed yet????Love youXXX

  Debbie Dec 20, 2008 7:41 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.