Existing Member?

The world through my eyes If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

The east coast. Beautiful places and smiling faces.

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 22 December 2008 | Views [2466] | Comments [4]

On the bumpy unsealed roads to Port Arthur.  This is an echidna eye view of me as I cycle past.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.  Those long nosed hedgehogs with highlighted prickles?!  They're called echidnas.  They're still camera shy though.

On the bumpy unsealed roads to Port Arthur. This is an echidna eye view of me as I cycle past. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Those long nosed hedgehogs with highlighted prickles?! They're called echidnas. They're still camera shy though.

Ok, so. Where did I leave you guys?  Ah yes, that was it, the bay of fires.

So my little jaunt from st Helens to the bay of fires was wonderful.  The blue water, white beaches and lichen covered granite rocks were all absolutely beautiful.  Captain Tobias Furneaux named the bay of fires as his ship sailed in in 1773 and he saw all the aboriginal fires burning. 

From St Helens, I slowly but surely made my way south along the coast to a little seaside town called Bicheno for more blue sea, more white beaches and more orange rocks.  The most important discovery in Bicheno however, was made in the bicheno backpackers.  Matt and Hanna of the Bicheno backpackers are some of the world's most special people and an absolutely awesome team together.  They looked after me, got me a bit drunk on alcoholic ginger beer (yummy), and generally made my stay in Bicheno one squillion times better than it would've been otherwise. Thankyou guys!

From Bicheno, I took a day to ride to the Freycinet national park to walk through the eucalypt forests, over pink granite mountains and to enjoy the peaceful and beautiful wineglass bay.  I did all of that, then got lost, ran out of water and got very frightened.  Still, I'm safe now and made it out of there, so all's well that ends well.

From Bicheno, I continued south and stopped off in a little port town called Triabunna, where I ate almost everything that ever lived in the sea battered and fried and yummy, right next to the boat that it had come in on that very same afternoon.  Sorry, little fishies.

The next couple of days took me on a rather bold detour to a historical (ahem..anything pre dating the mobile phone is of historical interest to a white person from Australia) place called Port Arthur.

After a boneshaking day of riding over unsealed roads, I arrived at Port Arthur which was used as a prison from 1830-1877.  In that time 12,500 convicts served sentences, 1 out of 7 prisoners died.  Pretty gruesome place.

The grounds were pretty and I took lots of pictures to make sure I got my 28 dollars worth.  That was the first financial tourist burn situation of the trip so far, but after over 100kms of riding there, only to have to backtrack up to Hobart on the following day, there was no way I was going to not go in.

Anyway, now I'm in Hobart feeling a bit hassled by the hustle and bustle and looking forward to getting back out into the countryside again in a couple of days.

Comments

1

Happy Crimbo, Mr Paul! We've cleaned everything, the jobs are done, mince pies are history and we're off to enjoy our Xmas hols. Wishing you a great time too, from all of us :)

  TFTuned Dec 24, 2008 10:53 PM

2

HAPPY CHRISTMAS PAUL. ALL OUR LOVE.

MUM AND DAD

XXXX

  Mum and Dad Dec 25, 2008 12:10 PM

3

All the very best at christmas. It's meant to be a happy time but I don't feel like that somehow. Look after yourself and enjoy the rest of your travelling. Come down to see us on your return.
Love,
Richard

  Richard & Shirley Dec 25, 2008 10:05 PM

4

Paul - It's great to hear about your journeys. Sounds as though you are having a great time. Hope Christmas went well and we wish you all the very best for the New Year. Lots of love A+P xx

  Peter and Anne Bradford Dec 31, 2008 12:15 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.