Existing Member?

The world through my eyes If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

Melbourne re re visited.

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 8 December 2008 | Views [485] | Comments [2]

It's hot and dusty and we're lost in the woods.  Life doesn't get much better than this.

It's hot and dusty and we're lost in the woods. Life doesn't get much better than this.

Hello all!

Wow, what a journey.  We were delayed by a couple of hours because a lady had a panic attack just as the plane was accelerating. 

The cabin crew did an amazing job of looking after her.  Once the lady was put at ease and off the plane, we were able to resume our journey.  I then got to spend the next thirty hours with my knees up around my ears wishing I'd taken some kind of horse tranquiliser, so at least I could sleep, rather than wondering what on earth I was doing and why!

Once at Tullamarine airport with fuzzy eyes and furry teeth, I waited, and waited, and waited by the magic luggage rollercoaster.  Everyone had taken their bags and I was alone.  My pants felt sticky and I didn't smell very good. 

The lady at the luggage service desk didn't fall for my sad face and offered very little sympathy.  Instead, she gave me an emergency wash bag and told me to call after a couple of days.  At least there were some spare pants in the wash bag.

The next challenge was to figure out which was the winning bus that would take me into the city to meet up with my good friend Pete, who was out on his work's Christmas do.

The bus ride was relatively successful, and when I arrived at the station in town, there was Pete, slightly half cut, having been sat waiting for  two hours.  At least he seemed to have befriended a pretty young lady who kept him company for most of that time.  Typical Pete, the people magnet.

I've spent the weekend in a bit of a daze, wearing my xxxl qantas t-shirt and underpants looking very much like the dazed and confused tourist that I am, but it's been great!

Pete's introduced me to his friends, taken me to dinner, made me a bed in his room and taken me mountain biking.  Pete's great!

On Saturday, we bumped into an old friend of mine who instantly offered me a job, and then went to St Kilda Cycles who also offered me a job.  Now, with a spinning head and a nervous tummy, it's time to weigh up the options and formulate a plan.

Once that plan's made, there'll be something a little more interesting to talk to you guys about.  Meanwhile, you can check out the amazing mountain biking action shots taken in the dandenongs yesterday.

Bye for now!

Comments

1

Glad you got to Oz OK in the end. Give my best wishes to Pete, I miss his eruditeness !
Anne wants to know if you need her to send any thongs over to you as we do not like the idea of a sticky Paul.
Temp here was minus 5 deg yesterday so indoors was best.Hope it's warmer where you are.
Glad to hear about the job offers, they obviously have not heard of your past record - keep us updated.
Love from us both, A+P xx

  Peter and Anne Bradford Dec 9, 2008 12:22 AM

2

Aah, that's very kind. Thankyou very much for the emergency thong offer. My bag has arrived now, so I'm well stocked. <br>You needn't miss Pete too much as he's heading home this Thursday to spend a few weeks with family over Christmas. There should be plenty of chances to give Pete some love then!<br>It was Dan Moore who offered me the job, so it was more to do with him feeling sorry for me than confusing me for someone who may be of use. Going to have to get moving soon. If I take a job here, I'll never get out and there are adventures to be had.<br>I've found a bus that drives all the way up the coast which I can jump on and off as I please, so plan to buy a ticket and start on the adventure soon.<br>Anyway. It's freezing cold and miserable here. There's sideways rain and 100mph winds. You wouldn't like it.<br>Love to you both. xx

  paul_byrom Dec 9, 2008 9:56 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.