Existing Member?

Paolo and the World "You're off to great places. Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting. So get on your way." -Dr. Seuss

One for My Gallery

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 18 May 2011 | Views [303]

One for My Gallery

This summer was all about adventure to me. I'm more of an outdoor guy now so I joined a camping group in our province. Our first journey was to a waterfall in Barangay, San Pablo.   San Pablo is one of the remotest Barangay in Borongan City, Eastern Samar. It is a difficult place to reach. There's no road to it. You can only reach it by about four-hour trek through a forest or by a one-hour boat ride through a river. We decided to take the one-hour boat ride. However, the boat ride is just half of the journey. It's only the a ride to the Barangay. It's far from over. There is still a one-hour walk over three mountains to get to the falls. Added to that long walk, something unexpected happened.  
 
It suddenly rained hard when we got there. We were force to get inside the Barangay Hall. We were stranded there for about an hour. Eventually, the rain stopped. We were all set to go. I grabbed my bag and I went out of the Barangay Hall.  I decided to take photos of the Barangay before we leave. I took my camera off my bag and started shooting.
 
As I was taking photos, a little girl saw me. She then said to "Hala pikchura daw ak." In English, that phrase means "Take a photo of me." I granted her request without any second thoughts. I instantly focused my camera on her, said "Smile.", and took her portrait. I reviewed the shot and I saw one of the sweetest smile I have ever seen.  I then, decided to show her her portrait. The smile on her face grew bigger. She was extremely happy seeing her face in a small LCD. This was the first time she saw herself on a small TV.  Off course, I'm only assuming on this.  Nevertheless, her smile really made this photo really special to me because making people smile is one of the reasons I enjoy photography. Photos make people smile. 

Tags: people adventure

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.