Existing Member?

A Couple's Encounters

Bush Trekking in the Blue Mountains

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 18 January 2011 | Views [542]

Up at six this morning for a long day to explore the Blue Mountains.  We caught a bus from Curl Curl to Manly; the ferry from Manly to Circular Quay; the cityrail train from Circular Quay to Central station; the countrylink train from Central station to Katoomba and there we caught the explorer bus for the day of sightseeing.  The trip there couldn’t have went smoother with us catching each bus, ferry and train one after another quick smart.  Brilliant. 

First stop was Katoomba Cascades (waterfalls).  From there we trekked to Katoomba Falls onto Scenic World where we visited Jurassic rainforests via the steepest incline passenger railway in the world.  On the valley floor we strolled through the World Heritage Listed wilderness along Australia’s longest elevated timber boardwalk.  We hopped onto the skyway cable car back up catching spectacular views of the infamous Three Sisters rock formation.  Next stop was Honeymoon Lookout and from there we trekked back to Echo Point which is home of the Three Sisters.  The views were breath-taking.  From there we hopped off the bus at Leura Cascades which are waterfalls flowing over rocks like a set of steps.  We then trekked our way to Gordon Falls and caught a glimpse of an elusive lyrebird.  We couldn’t believe it when we stumbled across it right beside our bush walk path burrowing a nest in the ground for mating.  During the day we also came across a cockatoo, a lizard and a falcon/eagle type bird.  We just made it up from Gordon Falls to catch the last bus back to Leura village where we were to catch the train back to Sydney.

All in all an excellent day out breathing in the immaculately fresh mountainous air while being consumed by the dramatic 360° views.

Tags: bush trekking, lyrebird, spectacular views, three sisters, waterfalls

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.