Existing Member?

thewheelsonthebusgo 'Seize the pleasure at once' - Jane Austen.

Cycling the Nullarbor

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 28 July 2008 | Views [966] | Comments [2]

We stayed on Fraser Range sheep station and had a great night in the 100+ year old stone kitchen with cosy combustion heater chatting with other guests including the cyclists who showed up.  Alan from UK & Andreja from Germany seem very sane, considering their incredible goal of cycling 2700km across the Eyre Highway.

Next morning they set out before us and we said goodbye with promises of meeting up and supplying them with coffee and chocolate biscuits.  (As you can imagine, there is only so much they can carry on their bicycles). 

We hooked up 3 times that day.  We drove 150km and they cycled 150km.

I cooked them up dinner and they arrived just after dark at a roadside stop 50km east of Balladonia.  We had red wine and listened to the drunken antics of a semi driver who thankfully wasn’t driving any more that day and would be on the road in the morning before any of us were.  So our lives were guaranteed for another day.

Just for the record, Dave and I cycled across the Eyre Highway today.  All the way.  Widthways.

Tags: australia, cycling, eyre highway, nullarbor, sheep station

Comments

1

Hello,

Did you hear about these two cyclists since you met them? I would like to contact them and to know more about their story.

Thanks,

L.

  L.Red Aug 24, 2012 5:53 PM

2

Hi L,
I don't know where they are now. Sorry I can't help out. Maybe you are thinking of cycling too? Enjoy!

  onthebus Sep 7, 2012 12:39 PM

About onthebus


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.