Existing Member?

thewheelsonthebusgo 'Seize the pleasure at once' - Jane Austen.

Salute to the Sun

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 21 June 2008 | Views [546] | Comments [1]

At Margaret River we stopped in a car park overlooking the surf break known as ‘Boat Ramp’. We were told by a surfer girl the ocean swell was 4 meters. At 7am we were drinking homemade coffees, rugged up on the windy cliff top overlooking the surf. We drank another coffee. And another coffee. And a fourth. Then we descended the wooden steps to the beach, (a whole beach to ourselves!) did a few rounds of Surya Namaskara (Salute to the Sun) had a paddle in the high tide wash which was quickly swallowing up the sand and threw a stick to the dog.

We moved on to another car park overlooking a dozen surfers battling the enormous waves known as Margaret River Mouth, Southside, The Box and Surfers Point. One surfer wearing a steamer, hood and booties did his salute to the sun and to the ocean gods before entering the water.

As we were chatting to a bearded surfer from the Sunshine Coast... (“Yeah I know a guy from Mornington who lives here. His name’s Simon. I don’t know his surname. Do you know him?”)... We saw a great, black mermaid rise from the depths of the ocean beyond the surfers and display her great tail. She spouted several times and then she was gone.

We came for a quick look and stayed for several hours. A great show was put on by the surfers. The power of the ocean is amazing. A chillaxing kind of a day...

Comments

1

Beautiful photo!
Margaret River mouth was where we 'fell' into the river, much to the amusement of the surfers in the carpark.
Lucky you got to see a whale as well- we didn't see any, though I was looking out for sharks!

  Eileen Jun 23, 2008 2:00 PM

About onthebus


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.