Existing Member?

thewheelsonthebusgo 'Seize the pleasure at once' - Jane Austen.

Volunteering in Kimba

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 29 May 2008 | Views [667]

We have both been volunteering here in Kimba, SA in the local area school and at the local history museum.  We are having a blast.  Everyone is so lovely and friendly and we are rather famous in the town.  Everyone seemed to be expecting us for the 'Grey Nomad' Volunteer Program and have all commented on the fact that we are not yet grey.  Each person we meet, says "Oh you are the volunteers" or "Yes, so-and-so told me" or "That must be your yellow bus at the recreation ground".

We are the ground breakers, the pioneers, the history makers and also the guinea pigs, for Kimba's brand new volunteer project.

My first day at the museum was lots of fun, hanging out with all the oldies.  I polished the old fashioned wooden school desks in the school room and dusted years (perhaps decades) of red desert bulldust off the shelves in Ye Olde Shoppe and saw all sorts of old goodies and expired medicines in there!

Dave was up a ladder hammering sheets of corrugated iron onto a timber shed frame.  When i came outside, there were six old men (four of whom are 76 years old)who volunteer at the museum, all standing looking up at Dave.  They were thrilled to have a youngster who could climb the ladder.  Unfortunately none of the 'local lads' have the time or inclination to help out.  So Dave's help was much appreciated.

Yesterday i volunteered in the school library which doubles as the community library.  So i felt right at home.  Dave worked with the maintenance man in the school grounds and got to go to the tip (!) so Dave was also in his comfort zone :)

Last night we were invited out to dinner to the community owned pub for schnitzel night.  And tonight we have an invite to the netball dinner.  Tomorrow morning we have table tennis before more volunteering and on Sunday we have been invited by some of the locals to go on a walk.

And I have also been offered a paid job this afternoon to clean the RSL hall which i will go and do in an hour. 

So it's all go.  Lovin' it.  See ya.

About onthebus


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.