Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Road Trippin' Around The Catlins: Day 1

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 8 May 2009 | Views [556]

The region of NZ where Paul lives is called The Catlins. It's in the south east corner and is home to lots of beaches, waterfalls and birds it would seem. While I'm here and I have access to the car, I figured it makes sense to drive around and check out all the sites. And so began my road trip.

Yesterday I took a drive out towards Nugget Point, which Paul had reccommended to me. It was a fairly easy drive taking me along a costal road, with nice enough views out over the sea. I made my first stop at Roaring Bay. It's a little beach known for it's yellow penguins. I followed a wee track down towards a hut they have and peeked out of one of the slits in the wall, feeling very birdwatcher-like. Unfortunately for me there were no penguins to be seen so I continued on my way.

I reached the car park at the end of the Nugget Point road to descover that I would have to go on foot to reach the lighthouse. Nothing like a stroll in the howling wind with rain battering into your face. The view from the carpark was impressive in itsself, with the sun giving some cool lighting effects over the sea. I walked onto the track and followed it along the top of the coastal cliffs. My first stop along the way was at a viewing point above some small, eroded rocks just out a little bit form the cliff face. As it was such a windy day the wind was blowing through the huge holes, which had worn in the rocks. This created a pretty amazing sound, kind of like a blowing over the top of a bottle but much louder. It was pretty scary. I stood and absorbed it all for a while and then headed on up to the lighthouse.

The path out to the lighthouse is flanked on either side by sheer cliff face drops down into the sea below (there are fences though so I felt safe enough). The lighthouse its self isnt the most impressive ive ever seen, its quite small, but a lighthouse never the less. Walking up the path to one side was awesome views of the coast right back up north toward Kaka Point and on the other, some pretty cool rock formations. I had a walk around the lighthouse, took some pictures and set off back to the car.

At night after I had picked up Paul we just headed back to his and chilled out; watched some TV, had a nice tea and a few beers.

Today I plan on checking out some waterfalls which are fairly near by. Time to pack up some lunch and see if I can find them on the SatNav.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.