Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Jetting Down Westport

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 24 April 2009 | Views [326]

I've struggled to get on the internet latley, hence the lack of entries. Ill try and upload some photos but it might have to wait untill I get access to a better computer. I have some good pictures though.

I decided that I would spend my last day in Nelson at the beach. I took what was supposed to be an hour walk, but got lost in some random docks so it took a bit longer. The walk took me right along the waterfront (after i escaped the docks) and the view was pretty awesome, escpecially since the sun was kind of lighting it up nicely. I only spent about an hour at the beach, had a drink at the cafe, a bit read and walked along the sandy beach. It was really nice. At night I went to the hostel right across the road from mines and caught up with Polly and Amy from the original BUNAC group I came across with.

In the morning I got myself up nice and early for the Kiwi Experience bus. I was pretty tired; a load of guys had ended up staying in my nice quite hostel and making it not so quiet, they came in pretty drunk. They were also on my bus in the morning, as were a couple of guys I had spoken to at the hostel across the road the night before so I saw some faces I knew which was nice.

We set off on our way down the west coast towards Westport. We stopped shortly after to get lunch supplies and then made our lunch stop at a lake, which no suprise I've forgotten the name of. It was absolutley amazing though, mountains all round it that reflect in the water. I took many a picture. There was a walk some of us did around the lake too which was pretty nice.

We set off again and our next stop was to be Bullers ADventure Tours, where I would be doing the jet boating that I signed up for. It had been pretty cheap so I wasnt expecting much but it was so good. We were all kitted out in waterproofs and lifejackets and taken in the jetboat, pulled by a tractor, down to the Buller River. The scenery around here was really nice, there were a few waterfalls and rocks and mountains all around. We spent about 40 mintues traveling down the river, picking up some impressive speed at times and pulling off some impressive manouvers. This was just a warmup for the driver though and a chance for us to take pictures. On the way back we packed our cameras into plastic bags and the driver gave it everything. He would drive towards the rocks and then swerve away at the last moment and did a load of jet spins in the water too that soaked everyone. It was really good fun, kind of like being on a roller coaster. The driver was hilariousely funny and told us some stuff about the river and how much it had flooded and stuff which was cool.

We were taken back to their base to dry off and then into town and to our hostel. It was really strange, all old inside, kind of like a haunted mansion or something. I shared a room with 2 girls and a guy from Ireland. They were going into town for a pizza for tea and asked me if I wanted to join. We've kind of stuck together since then which has been nicem, some new friends! The pizza i had was so so so good aswell, best I've had in a long time.

The hostel had an amazing living room type thing with comfy armchairs, a log fire and a tv so for the rest of the night we sat in there watching a bit teli. NZ TV is so cheesy, their adverts are terrible. The F Word was on though so I was happy.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.