Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

My Plans and Burger Fuel

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 19 March 2009 | Views [468]

Forget MacDonalds and Burger King. In the north of New Zealand they have plenty of Burger Fuel's. They're by far the best burger takeaway I've ever been to. Their burgers are all really weird and different and healthy compared to your average burger. I had a "Combustion Veggie"; a green veggie burger with green avacado stuff, peanut sauce, chick pea stuff and salad on a huge roll. It was so yummy. Along with that, I had some Kumara (think thats how it's spelt) fries, kind of a specialy in New Zealand from what I've heard. Theyre made from sweet potato and are really really good. I'll definately be eating there a couple more times before I leave!

I think I've decided what I want to do with my time in New Zealand now. At our orientation we were told about a company called Kiwi Experience. They run bus tours all around the country, stopping at all the good places on their way from town to town. They allow you to "hop on and hop off" whenever you want, so if I get to somewhere and decided I like it I can stay there for as long as I want and get picked up by another one of their buses which run daily. They also secure accommodation for you in each stop meaning I dont have to worry about booking any, just paying for it! From what I've heard loads of people do it and it's supposed to be really good.

My plan is to take a KE bus up to Paihai. From there I want to take a local bus to Kerikeri. I've already applied online for a fruit picking job here but in order to properly apply I have to be in the area. If i don't manage to get that job I want to stay there anyway and find something else as it seems like a really cool place and a few local people have said they love it. Amy and Polly (from the BUNAC group) left for there today on a KE bus and Joe is planning on going there when he finishes up with the work he is doing just now so if I go I can meet up with them and don't have to feel quite so alone!

After working in Kerikeri for +-4 weeks I'll jump back on a KE bus which will take me all the way down south as far as Queenstown, stopping in loads of places all the way down. This will allow me to easily do my bungee jump and canyon swing in Queenstown that I've already booked and there is a stop in Taupo where im doing a skydive.

This definately seems like a good way for me to see most the country in the time that I have here. I've realised that 2 months is really quite a short time to be staying, I'd love to stay for longer and fully appreciate everything that there is to see and do, and I think it's very likley I'll be coming back to New Zealand later on in life.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.