Existing Member?

Noone Family Adventure

Katherine

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 22 September 2010 | Views [232]

Day 27 – 28 Katherine

Day 27

Today we drove to Katherine from Kakadu.  We planned to get away a little earlier than the average 10am but alas even the best laid plans….  We had the van packed up, attached to the car, performed the head count and damn, we were short two.  Now the thought did enter my head 2 out of 4 isn’t bad but we did the right thing and searched for them anyway.  Nowhere to be found – not shops, not pool, not park, not amenities block.  Where could they be?  The car of the “friends from road” was gone so we thought surely they wouldn’t have taken them?  Rang the mum (always handy to have numbers) and luckily she was within range.  She had the car but no kids, her entire family should be in the park somewhere.  After much deliberation we decided her husband must have taken them fishing so Nick and I set off in search of them.  Found missing two (Madi and Matt) jauntily walking along with new friends (5 and 9) out the back of the park near the river.  They had indeed been fishing, cast out a line and even been photographed with a fish.  They were very happy with themselves and even after they had been told off Nick and Chris still felt that they had been the ones that were hard done by!   Anyway, we left Cooinda eventually at around 10.30am.  The southern end of Kakadu is a bit more picturesque then the northern so the drive was not too bad.  Took us about an hour to get out of the park and by 12.30 we were at Pine Creek for ice-cream and fresh bread.  We stopped at Edith Falls for lunch and a swim in the waterhole.  The falls are still running and the waterhole is about 150m across and surrounded by cliffs.  The obligatory sign warned of fresh water crocs (stay out of water between 7pm and 7am) and the chance of salt water crocs but there were other people swimming so we took our chances.  Andy was first in, followed by the kids.  I had just got to the edge of the water when Andy let out what is probably best described as a cross between a scream and a curse.  I thought he was joking around but he leapt into the air and on landing back in the water looked very skittish.  “Something bit me” he shouted which caused raucous laughter from the kids.  On closer inspection from those wearing goggles it turned out that the little fish in the water had nibbled on his toes.  For some unknown reason the fish up here find Andy’s toes very tasty and every waterhole we go to they nibble at his feet.  There really is no accounting for some fish’s taste!  Anyway once the kids sounded the all clear I went for a swim too and then we headed on to Katherine.  We did a drive by of the Springvale Homestead which is the oldest building in the NT (and it looks it).  Everyone was a bit hot so it probably didn’t get the attention it deserved (have I mentioned the heat) and we headed to Knots Crossing to set up camp and then to the local Woolworths (where the air conditioning is always guaranteed to be working).  On arrival at the shops Madi spotted a Target and was beside herself with joy.  Her birthday money had been burning a hole in her pocket for too long and she was determined to spend it.  Somehow she talked Daddy into going in for a look and 40 minutes later he was well and truly regretting it but she spent her funds and came out very happy with two new outfits.  That night we went to the RSL for dinner so we could watch the Collingwood v Geelong match.  The meal was great but the game was a walkover (Hot Pies!) so we left at ¾ time as we had an early (for us) wake up call the next day.

Day 28

 The alarm went off at 7am!  First time we have used the alarm on this trip and it is not a pleasant sound.  Anyway it did the trick and we made it out to the Katherine Gorge for our boat cruise with plenty of time to spare (way too much time according to Chris, who by the time we boarded was, surprise surprise, very grumpy).  By the end of the first gorge his petulant mood was well and truly spoiling the beauty of the area.  As we disembarked one fellow passenger enquired if the kids at the back of the boat were the rest of my family and with some trepidation (I had been focused on Chris so God knows what  the rest had been up to!) I replied yes.  He said he could tell as the oldest one and Chris were the spitting image of each other although the younger one seems a bit crankier!  Anyway we had to walk to the next gorge (very easy, concrete path and stairs) via you guessed it some Rock Art (Chris’ favourite) so his mood didn’t improve.  I managed to off load Chris to Daddy and spent the second gorge with Madi and Nick which was very enjoyable.  Another short walk to another boat for Gorge 3 and this time Matthew had had enough – alas the scheduled swim was on the return trip between gorge 1 and 2 so he had to wait a while.  On the return trip I had to off load him to Daddy and try my luck with Madi and Chris.  Now it was Madi’s turn – she was so hungry!  When could we have the food?  Did I bring any food?  It would seem that I am the common denominator here – they never complain with Andy only with me! I can see Kath nodding her head here and wisely telling me I am too soft but that is my cross to bear.  Eventually we made it to the swimming hole and the food and they were all much happier.  Madi declared the snacks delicious (and I am sure helped herself to more than her fair share), Chris declared the water very refreshing and Bubba loved it.  Nick was his good natured self, swam, ate and behaved beautifully and when I complimented his on this he said “Well mum, I am turning 11 soon, I’m a young man!”  We made it back to without any further troubles and back to camp for a rest.  At 4 I tried to get them out to go to the Thermal Springs but they were very slow to move so it was 5 before we headed there.  On arrival we saw the “friends from the road”  and that got them moving very fast.  The springs were fun as there was a little rapid for them to slide down and a high side bank where they could jump into a deep pond.  “Friends from road” headed on towards Kununurra and we headed back into town for an early celebration of Nick’s birthday – McDonalds for dinner.   This was a comedy.  With the ordering system these days you order and then move aside and wait to be called when your order is filled.  On arrival at your table you find that half the things you have are wrong and the others are missing and you have to go back.  This went on for a while and finally we had our dinner.  Then the kids wanted dessert and we had to repeat the process!  If we thought we had it bad we had to laugh when we watched one indignant lady return her McAngus – all she had been given was the beef pattie in a box, no bun or salad or anything.  It looked very funny.

Tomorrow we are off to Kununurra on the Victoria Highway.  Finally we will be off the Stuart Highway, a very long, straight road!

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.