Existing Member?

Go Bush

Stethoscopes in Ancient Times?

EGYPT | Tuesday, 15 December 2009 | Views [1964] | Comments [2]

Loud and Proud Americans. A generalisation that goes many miles, as already seen in Istanbul (The Jube on the Bus).

We are at Edfu Temple between Aswan and Luxor, a double temple built in the Greco-Roman dynasty around the birth of Christ. One wing is devoted to Horus, the Falcon-headed god of the sky (and the patron god) and the other to Sobek, the Nile Crocodile God. This place is huge, but above all ancient. 


Our tour guide Sherif explains all of the heiroglyphs, statues, calendars and even a Nile-ometer that was used for taxes.


One particular heiroglyph depicts an ancient Egyptian medic administering herbal medicine to a king.
"Make sure you get a photo of that" says Sherif, "it is one of the few incriptions showing medical treatment in Ancient Egypt".

"WHERE'S THE STETH-O-SCOPE?!"

A big American woman sidles up to the same wall.

"HE TOLD US THERE WAS A STETH-O-SCOPE. I CANNOT SEE A STETH-O-SCOPE"

Eveyone in our tourgroup looks at one another. A stethoscope in ancient times? Come the fuck on. Sherif, is this true? Hahaha, no.

The big American woman sidles away, dissapointed and no more educated than when she turned up.

We take a fgew more photos and chat to Sherif.

From a distance...

"I COULD NOT FIND THE STETH-O-SCOPE"

For godsakes, shut the fuck up!

Tags: jubes

 

Comments

1

America is the greatest nation on the face of this white Earth!

  Obama Dec 18, 2009 6:12 PM

2

You’ve assisted my understanding on what is usually a hard to tackle subject. Thank you!

  Dharmendra Mar 5, 2010 11:28 AM

About nik_and_leon


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.