Existing Member?

Go Bush

Guns in the night

KENYA | Sunday, 29 November 2009 | Views [944] | Comments [10]

We arrived in the Masai Mara after 2 weeks of solid camping so were glad to be given accomodation in the permanent tents. We were also told that this camp was run by African Travel Company, the company that was driving us around the continent, and as such it was a safe camp, guarded by Masai warriors. That in itself made it feel safe, as in the middle of the night you would pass their dark, tall shadow on your way to the toilet.

As it happened, that was were we went at about 12.30 in the morning of our second night in the camp. Having been successful, we got back to out tent and dazed back into sleep.

RAT TAT TAT TAT...what was that. Masai scaring off animals with a gun, must have been. Back to sleep.

Morning, arrrrrrrrrhhh, streeeeeeeeetch.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

That wasn't Masai.

Just after Nunu and I got back to our tent, a group of Swahili bandits entered the camp and went spastic.

Wer can only guess their aim was to keep the camp quiet while they went from tent to tent slashing and grabbing gear.

The first tent thwey hit was empty.

The seond had a South African couple. He stood up and got a machete help to his throat. Heavy stuff.

The third, an Aussie girl and her Auntie were staying in.

First rule of Africa, give them everything!!! Your life is worth more.

Noone told the girl and she resisted, holding her bag and screaming. One of the bandits went...

RAT TAT TAT TAT. 4 automatic shots into the air.

The commotion caused them to do a runner, but was enough to share the shit outof everyone.

cops came, Masai were embarrassed, tourists were scared.

Nunu and I slept.

Comments

1

holy s-h-i-t, be careful you two

  Booce Nov 29, 2009 9:28 PM

2

oh my God! you're a pair of cool customers, going back to sleep after the AKAK. I'd have been sitting up wide eyed all night. those others, the SAs and Aussies must have been shitting themselves. thank God the bandits were prepared to go first with scaring the bejesus out of everyone without slaughtering first.

that's definitely been something to write home about. you'll get many drinkin stories out of this one.

  heather Nov 30, 2009 9:34 AM

3

Myla's just glad her currently third favourite uncle is safe and sound. She prayed for both of your lives last night when she found out. May you both see Everest

  julz Nov 30, 2009 11:56 AM

4

yeah, third favourite uncle...did you get that? i'll repeat it, THIRD FAVOURITE. hope you guys manned-up and had a slum to calm your fear.

  Favourite uncle Nov 30, 2009 6:13 PM

5

wow you kids, take it easy there. you're givin me a heart attack already. congrats again on the engagement. well overdue. great stuff though.

  dom Nov 30, 2009 6:15 PM

6

Hi me again, I have calmed down now, the heart is no longer at 380/200 and I am able to take red wine in a glass again. Boy, I am looking forward to seeing you both again in safe Kathmandu, I hope. I am sure there are no bandits there, too cold for them. Anyhow, you will have lots to talk about, and fortunately!!!!! there will be no fantastic action photos. Be careful, love you both, be safe.

  Booce Nov 30, 2009 9:52 PM

7

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! How scary! I am so glad you are both ok. Although trust you Noo Noo - and now you have proven it - you really can sleep through anything....
Seriously - be careful - Damo and I can't wait to see you both safe and sound next year. Love to you both. Lou and Damo xx

  Lou Dec 4, 2009 6:50 PM

8

Blimey! what a scare. Take lotsa care you two! Bet you are looking forward to Kathmandu (and Tony?!) already... :)

   christine Dec 10, 2009 4:29 AM

9

I am going to have to put up with Booce all by myself in Nepal?

  Antbitch Dec 10, 2009 7:59 PM

10

Hey nik_and_leon,

We really like your story and decided to use it in this month's feature destination on the WorldNomads homepage so that others can enjoy it too.

Happy Travels!
World Nomads

  true-claims-stories Feb 3, 2010 10:02 AM

About nik_and_leon


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.