Existing Member?

Go Bush

Animal Action!

TANZANIA | Saturday, 31 October 2009 | Views [657] | Comments [6]

FUCK YEAH!!! Excuse the French you faint-hearted souls.

Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti that is!

FUCK, what a place.

Ngorongoro  - a big extinct volcanic crater in the middle of Tanzania, the crater collapsed 6 million or so years ago. Before it did it was bigger than Kibo (which we didn't get to see due to Fuji-esque cloud - bugger).

A few facts - it is an micro world all unto its own. On the windward side of the crater floor there are rainforests which give way within a few hundred meters to fresh water lakes surrounded by thorn bush forests. Another couple of hundred meters leeward, the swamps begin which soon merge into salt lakes. the far leeward side of the crater is an arid and dusty plain stretching for the remaining few kilometers. All this in a crater only 15km across!

the animals there and in the Serengeti are suburb!a list of what we saw:

The big 5 (lions - Simba in Swahili, elephants, leopards -one hauling a Gazelle up a tree, buffalo and a black rhino - severely endangered)

White Rhino

Cheetahs

Giraffes

Cerval Cats

Truck loads of antelope - Gazelles, Redbuck, Impala, and the big bastard I can't recall the name of at the mo.

Flamingos

Hippos

Wilderbeast

Mongoose

Zebra

Warthogs (Not Pumba, that's just a name)

Birds of prey, birds of colour and birds of lunch eating capability

Most of these were bloody close to us so we got some cracking photos.

Tags: safari

Comments

1

nice won! Shame you didn't get some Kibotastic views, you should have just climbed the damn thing, can't miss the view from the summit. Which of those animals listed did you put in your belly?

  julz Nov 1, 2009 10:52 AM

2

can't wait to see the photos. jenny and ross menso did the same trip, or similar. their photos were amazing.

  heather Nov 1, 2009 11:19 AM

3

Love the sheep! Love the Waterbuck! Jazz hands!

  Maximilien Robespierre Nov 11, 2009 8:03 AM

4

Crikey! Have at go at those! Congratulations again on the engagement. Long overdue. Hurrah!

  dom Nov 12, 2009 7:17 PM

5

Awesome. This trip just keeps on getting better for you guys. Can't wait to see the photos.

  Lou Nov 22, 2009 8:41 AM

6

Triple Bypass on Karl Wally's arteries on this one! Ewes have let go a fair ripper! I've got my rash-vest on and ready for the drowning! Throat clippers!

  massive heart attack Nov 28, 2009 8:28 PM

About nik_and_leon


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.