Existing Member?

Go Bush

Did you know? Turkey

TURKEY | Tuesday, 6 October 2009 | Views [613] | Comments [2]

A coupla key facts about this place (what a place too!!).

Istanbul has 15 Million people - that's almost twice the size of London!

Turkey's national hero, Ataturk, was instrumental in beating the Allies in Gallipoli when he and his battalion held the ANZACS at bay on the first day before reinforcements arrived. After the war, he then went on to overthrow the Ottomans and revolutionise Turkey, leading it towards the more modern Turkey that it is today. John Howard, what have you done lately?

There was only 106 Turks defending the hill on that first day!! (their main forces had gone north thinking that is where the landing would be)

And they only had single shot rifles!! They shot, they crapped their pants and then they ran for backup(in the form of Ataturk).

Ataturk incidentally was the name given to him after the war, and it literally means 'father of Turks'. He had no kids, and it is now against illegal in Turkey for anyone to be called Ataturk (not sure about Jesus though??).

John Howard was the name given to John Howard after his mother got frightened at his birth. It literally means 'anus faced'.

The ANZAC and Turkish trenches at Lone Pine were only 8 meters apart! This was engineered by the Turks so that they could not be bombed from the battleships.

What else....

Ah yeah, you forget how huge this place is - a 6 hour bus ride from Istanbul to Canakkele!

Time for tea...

Tags: did you know

Comments

1

Sounds like the Turks have more reason to celebrate Gallipoli than we do - beating the invaders. Neat idea to set up trenches so close.

I guess you're in the heart of Africa now.

  Heather Oct 21, 2009 4:39 PM

2

Actually, John Howard is no longer Prime Minister of Australia. I single-handedly voted him out. Instead, we have an even more evil, snot-faced misogynist called Kevin Rudd. My middle child, Julian Ward, voted for Ted Ronson of the All-Australian Cattle Dog and Ute Party.

  Heather cont... Nov 12, 2009 7:15 PM

About nik_and_leon


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.