Existing Member?

2explore.net We are Niels and Amy van Dongen and this is our journey. Our home site is http://www.2explore.net. On February 16, 2007 we will leave behind the comforts of our home in Seattle to travel through the South Pacific. On this site you can follow along with us, read about our experiences and view some of the photos we have taken en route. Our insatiable urge to explore, sparked the idea for this adventure. In October of 2005, we had a taste of the South Pacific on a 3-week trip to the Cook Islands and have ever since wanted to go back to immerse ourselves in the South Pacific way of life and record our experiences. With many ecosystems at risk from pollution, global warming and climate change, this is now especially critical. We aim to capture the true character of the idyllic South Pacific through photographs and words in a way that makes any observer of our work feel a connection to this special place and in turn, join us in making simple choices in everyday life that can have positive, lasting effects on the world around us. For a year we will be living as modern nomads – traveling only with what we can carry in our packs, living amongst the locals on the islands we visit, spending time sharing stories and experiences and taking in the captivating underwater world on the occasional dive. We hope to help others along the way and keep a vivid record of this adventure to share with you, and keep at the forefront of our memory. Follow along with us and learn about far away places of natural beauty and rich cultures. Experience with us the big world we call home.

DAY 215 Detour Down Under

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 21 September 2007 | Views [626]

Between the Solomon Islands and Australia lies a vast, deep blue sea that separates two shockingly different worlds. Resulting from an involuntary re-route, we were not quite prepared for so many people and commercial activity. Suddenly swallowed up by the Western world, we initially felt somewhat uneasy but soon adapted to its inherent comforts and structure. When reality struck us again, we decided that we might as well sample the land down under! After so many months in the South Pacific islands, we find that we have trouble dealing with the oppressing crowds and frantic life of the city so we high-tailed it out of Brisbane. We splurged on a flight to Cairns and a rental car which bought us the unimaginable freedom and luxury of our own set of wheels. At the Daintree National Park we followed the crowds through the landscaped jungle, made accessible by raised boardwalks and viewing platforms. Although nice, a far cry from the real rainforests we explored in Melanesia - it's all about one's frame of reference. We were fortuante to see a few Cassowaries - large, colorful birds from ancient times, but didn't spot a single crocodile despite the numerous warning signs. After a few days we made our way further North to Cooktown, a pleasant, small town with a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. In the botanical gardens, we saw our first wild wallabies, relaxed at some lovely bays and we also visited the Captain Cook museum, commemorating the town's legacy of Captain Cook's landing in 1770. Given our short timeframe, we decided to not try to cover a very large area and next made our way to the Atherton Tablelands. Although pretty, it is in our opinion an overly commercialized area, consisting of manicured jungle walks and strings of waterfalls. We quite liked the quaint town of Yungaburra where we actually spotted the elusive platypus in the wild and a carpet python with graphic markings that Niels literally almost stumbled over (see photo). It is our impression that to find true adventure, one would need to explore the outback. However, that would require a sturdy 4x4, mechanical skills, lots of time and planning and heaps of provisions (especially fuel, water, and spare parts)! As we didn't have the luxury of time or any of the aforementioned, we decided to just try to get a taste for the outback and set out along gravel roads to the small settlement (population 250) of Chillagoe. A place without many attractions per se, but with its roots firmly in the Australian outback. We visited a cave and defunct smelter, ate buffet style at the roadhouse/truckstop and spent the night in a room above the one local pub. The next day we had to leave the red dust behind and make our way back to the heavily trodden tourist trail, navigating between more kangaroo roadkill and busloads of package tourists. If all goes as planned (fingers crossed), we will head back to Vanuatu tonight where we intend to explore that country's remote Northern archipelagoes, which most certainly will be a place of a different nature.

Tags: Sightseeing

About niels_and_amy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.