Existing Member?

2explore.net We are Niels and Amy van Dongen and this is our journey. Our home site is http://www.2explore.net. On February 16, 2007 we will leave behind the comforts of our home in Seattle to travel through the South Pacific. On this site you can follow along with us, read about our experiences and view some of the photos we have taken en route. Our insatiable urge to explore, sparked the idea for this adventure. In October of 2005, we had a taste of the South Pacific on a 3-week trip to the Cook Islands and have ever since wanted to go back to immerse ourselves in the South Pacific way of life and record our experiences. With many ecosystems at risk from pollution, global warming and climate change, this is now especially critical. We aim to capture the true character of the idyllic South Pacific through photographs and words in a way that makes any observer of our work feel a connection to this special place and in turn, join us in making simple choices in everyday life that can have positive, lasting effects on the world around us. For a year we will be living as modern nomads – traveling only with what we can carry in our packs, living amongst the locals on the islands we visit, spending time sharing stories and experiences and taking in the captivating underwater world on the occasional dive. We hope to help others along the way and keep a vivid record of this adventure to share with you, and keep at the forefront of our memory. Follow along with us and learn about far away places of natural beauty and rich cultures. Experience with us the big world we call home.

DAY 188 Bliss at 80 South

SOLOMON ISLANDS | Thursday, 20 September 2007 | Views [686]

Water laps against the posts of our overwater leaf house as I sway in the hammock to create air movement as it is hotter here, 8 degrees South of the equator, than anyplace else we have been. Maybe it is the hammock's perfect fit, or the view out over the vast, placid lagoon, or the peaceful, near silence that is reason for the state of bliss we are in despite the incredible heat.

Five days after arriving in Honiara, and after the all too common dilemmas we encounter in the South Pacific, (full domestic flights, transportation delays and cancellations, lack of reliable information, etc...) we made it by boat through the deep blue, rolling open ocean onto calm blue green waters dotted with islands. Here we caught the first glimpse of the leaf house, built of all local materials, jutting out over the lagoon. Wow.

Almost a week has gone by now as I write this thinking about the days that have wiled away and I really want to stay a bit longer. Niels and I have finally started to get the hang of paddling together in a tipsy, leaky dugout canoe that requires strength to paddle as well as near-constant bailing and there is far too much to see! Right now, for instance, I can see a small shark just 2 feet out from where the veranda is and schools of fish dart and jump a little further out while at least twenty butterflies flutter around a branch nearby. I am still hoping to get a second look at a Monitor lizard that I saw on our first day here. I was so startled by the sheer size (4' in length) that I breathlessly called to Niels to come and see. Not even remotely expecting such a creature made this quite a sight!

Perhaps we'll spend our last two days here just lounging on the veranda spotting the hornbills, parrots and cockatoos that fly from tree to tree in the jungle canopy that surrounds the lodge, but it would be so nice if we can snorkel again as we did a few days ago. Our host and another local man with a motor boat took Niels and me out on the lagoon stopping at small islands, whenever requested, and a reef passage to snorkel. As soon as I got in the water, the underwater world that could be seen from the boat through the clear water, burst into vibrant color. Corals and anemones clung to the sheer wall just below the surface - some as bright as neon - while schools of small and medium sized fish swam about. Perfect "Nemo's" hung out in their swaying anemones while a green sea turtle swam by headed for deeper water. Niels briefly gave chase. The water was so warm that we could have hung out for several hours.

Well, however we spend the next few days in and around Marovo lagoon will easily be added to some of our favorite memories and eventhough we have decided to move on to more adventure, we may very well be back someday.

Tags: Relaxation

About niels_and_amy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Solomon Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.