Existing Member?

2explore.net We are Niels and Amy van Dongen and this is our journey. Our home site is http://www.2explore.net. On February 16, 2007 we will leave behind the comforts of our home in Seattle to travel through the South Pacific. On this site you can follow along with us, read about our experiences and view some of the photos we have taken en route. Our insatiable urge to explore, sparked the idea for this adventure. In October of 2005, we had a taste of the South Pacific on a 3-week trip to the Cook Islands and have ever since wanted to go back to immerse ourselves in the South Pacific way of life and record our experiences. With many ecosystems at risk from pollution, global warming and climate change, this is now especially critical. We aim to capture the true character of the idyllic South Pacific through photographs and words in a way that makes any observer of our work feel a connection to this special place and in turn, join us in making simple choices in everyday life that can have positive, lasting effects on the world around us. For a year we will be living as modern nomads – traveling only with what we can carry in our packs, living amongst the locals on the islands we visit, spending time sharing stories and experiences and taking in the captivating underwater world on the occasional dive. We hope to help others along the way and keep a vivid record of this adventure to share with you, and keep at the forefront of our memory. Follow along with us and learn about far away places of natural beauty and rich cultures. Experience with us the big world we call home.

DAY 36 Update from Rarotonga

COOK ISLANDS | Saturday, 7 April 2007 | Views [452]

Another week has gone by since we have been back on Rarotonga. Nothing too eventfull to report. We are just slowing slipping into the non-touristy daily life here. We have been frequenting the Cook Islands library since Amy joined a few weeks back. The collection of books is quite random, but there is a good reference collection on the South Pacific. Niels likes to browse the flora, fauna, and picture books.

Nearly a week ago now, we finally set out to undertake Rarotonga's cross island trek. It starts out at the Avatiu Road, close to where we are staying, and makes its way across the island to end up at Papua Waterfall/Wigmores Waterfall. The 5 hour hike proved strenuous at times but the cloud forests and views were rewarding. It was a bit of a scramble at times and the trail wasn't very easy to follow but we were able to follow the river when we got really lost and eventually we made it out of the jungle.

Here are some tips for anyone reading this who may attempt this hike: Start early and don't even think about starting the trail from the South side as you will almost certainly lose the trail without the river as guidance. Wear proper shoes as there can be lots of mud and slippery conditions. Take plenty of repellent and of course, bring plenty of water.

After several failed attempts over the past few weeks, we have finally accepted that we cannot make it to the Northern group. It is simply prohibitively expensive and even if you have the time to wait for the cargo ship, you still have to pay a small fortune to make it there. The only option we had was to make a round trip past 3 of the Northern atolls, but since that only allows a day at most on each while the ship unloads, the cost of almost 1,000 NZD/pp is simply outrageous. So, our plan is to fly on Tuesday to Mangaia - an island in the Southern group that we have not been to before. We will spend 9 days there, which is probably more than long enough, then return here to Rarotonga for 8 days until we catch our flight to Fiji. We'll update when we are back from Mangaia!

Tags: Travel Tips

About niels_and_amy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cook Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.