Existing Member?

Nick and Bec's Big Trip Starting on the 29th of June 2008 Bec and I will be starting a year long adventure, spending 6 months in Africa and another 6 months in South America. It should be lots of fun.

Leopard Sighted!

ZAMBIA | Sunday, 17 August 2008 | Views [397] | Comments [3]

Bec and I are now in Lusaka.  Since leaving Livingstone we travelled to the Zambesi River near Chirundu and went on a three day two night canoe trip, staying at the fantastic Zambesi Breezes campsite the night before.  The steak and chips were excellent.

Our next destination is South Luangwa national park, a long way east of Lusaka.  We are now hoping to spot cheetah.  There's no pleasing some people.

Here is the leopard sighting extract from the diary.

15th August - Leopard Sighted!

This morning over breakfast one of guides leonard spotted a leopard drinking on the far bank.  Packing the boats sped up a notch and we then hurriedly climbed aboard.  After a quick paddle across the river and up stream of leonards sighting we turned and drifted downstream.  Nothing was sighted to start with, then Bec and I saw the leopard, shiloutted (sorry about the spelling) against the skyline and between two bushes.  It was the briefest of glimses, but it  definately was a leopard.  The gait and tail were so characteristic they could not be mistaken.

That really ended the canoeing and we unloaded the boats a short way downstream.  This was the start of a long and bumpy four wheel drive ride back to Zambesi Breezes.  It was a great trip, yes another great adventure.

Comments

1

Nick, we had a simular experience canoeing last week on our local canal. Someone though they'd spotted a hippo, but it turned out to be our dog swimming in the water trying to pick up every piece of weed in the water.

  Robin and Heidi Aug 19, 2008 2:50 AM

2

We have so much water in our lane that it has turned into a river which you probably could canoe down. No wildlife to be seen though.

  Pat Earl Aug 20, 2008 5:38 AM

3

I had a simialr sighting at Wombeyan caves, walking back to the camp site from a day in low light low head room cave walking i spotted (pardon the pun) a Leopard in the distance, It was rather a rotund chap (Nick knows where I am going with this),with very spindley legs and seemed to have Eurohike branded to its side!







yes it was my tent. stinkng Leopard print tent!

  David Aug 21, 2008 6:26 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Zambia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.