Existing Member?

Nick and Bec's Big Trip Starting on the 29th of June 2008 Bec and I will be starting a year long adventure, spending 6 months in Africa and another 6 months in South America. It should be lots of fun.

Elephants and Zip-Lines

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 16 July 2008 | Views [326] | Comments [4]

We are now in Cape Town and it does feel strange after spending two weeks under canvas and sitting around a camp fire.  I now realise I smell of smoke and probably look quite grubby.

Since the last entry we have been busy!  We spent the 10th of July in Addo Elephant Park where we went on an afternoon safari in an open topped truck.  It was really cold, so far in Africa it has been very cold at night with clear bright skies and the odd frosty morning.  In the Drakensburg Mountains the washing up bowl had a thin layer of ice too.  Anyway in the elephant park we were treated to kudu, red heart beest and buffalo to name some.  The buffalo were enjoying a mud bath in a water hole.  We also saw three lions sitting at the side of the road, a mum and her two cubs.  They didn't seem to mind the safari vehicles turning up and all these human beings staring at them.  Not to be outdone we spotted or almost bumped into a family of elephants.  Very cool.  They are amazing animals and really intelligent.  I don't know how else to describe them apart from amazing.  I need more superlatives!

After the park we headed to Tsitsikamma and went on a zipline canopy tour, to get a monkeys eye view of the world up amongst the tree tops and have some fun too.  The longest zipline was ninety one metres and very fast.  Fast enough to put a big smile of your face.

We camped by the beach and spent a day bushwalking, just Bec and I.  We spotted heaps of wild life including a pod of dolphins, some otters, a bush buck (another sort of antelope), a group of noisy brightly coloured parrots and lots of migrating southern bright whales.  One of the whales even hoisted its massive tail out of the water for us.  Here's the trivia for the day, the whales on average grow to fourteen metres and weight an impressive fourty four tonnes.

Africa is so stuffed full of animals all you have to do is look.

Then we moved onto Wilderness National Park and hired a kayak for a paddle.  We gently made our way up stream spotting malachite king fishers and a couple of huge schools of fish (mullet we think).  The schools were so large that the river turned from clear to black.  Really cool.

Yesterday we did a bit of caving, albeit a little tame, but good fun and today we tasted a drop of wine and headed for a cloudy and damp Cape Town.

That'll do for the moment, before you all get bored and never read again. 

Comments

1

Sounds amazing! Glad your both having a fab time.
Take Care
Jane xxx

  Jane Jul 18, 2008 1:09 AM

2

All sounds wonderful and I bet you are smelly. Just like Scout Camp eh!

  Pat Jul 19, 2008 5:35 AM

3

You always smell so don't bother trying to suggest otherwise, you won't fool anyone. It just sounds amaziang, we miss you though. Have you had to crack open the first aid kit yet?? Why no mention of the Golf's in the blog, they are as great as any animal! Bib is comming to Dubai in a week or two I am very excited. I got a job but now can't work becasue of visa issues, I am doing yoga to cope with the stress, you know how much I love to work so I am very upset at the moment. Oh well I have nearly written as much as you so I better go, but you know me once I start I can't stop. Look after Bec's and try to have fun, it all sounds so tough! Oh and don't bother pointing out any spelling mistakes its all part of my charm / code!

You new name is super stinks and bonny Bec's

  Clarey Jul 22, 2008 4:18 PM

4

HI Nick and Bec sounds great
Happy Birthday Bec.
Please can you shorten it next time!

  Katie Jul 23, 2008 7:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.