Existing Member?

I'm doing it!!

Ubud

INDONESIA | Thursday, 8 March 2012 | Views [1015] | Comments [3]

Well hey all

Here I am in Ubud. Its so hot!! I literally walk up the street and I am a mess!

So I got a flight to Bali from Perth and literally got scammed as soon as I got there! I am always not really that with it after a flight because of my ears etc so when two men grabbed my bags I was too disorientated to stop them! Of course once they had picked them up, they wanted paying for it-luckily it wasnt that much, just a pound or so. Although I think I did get charged $5 for a can of coke as the currency here takes a bit to get used to! Its basically approx 14000ish rupiah to the pound. Which you can probably tell is confusing! After a taxi ride of about 1.5hours I was in Ubud.

I am staying in a gorgeous place called 'Wena Homestay' I have my own room (yippee) and its lovely-huge bed, veranda, lots of lovely artwork. Its set in a courtyard where there is a temple type praying area, little shrines, a huge statue of Ganesh. They have a fat dog who lounges about most the day by the shrine. There are flowers everywhere and incense burning-it really is so cool. Each morning they bring me my breakfast on my balcony and its the nicest eggs on toast I have ever had. Along with the tea, which comes without milk and is surprisingly nice. Ubud is supposed to be the spiritual heart of Bali and the artwork here is unbelievable. If only I had more walls! Or space in my backpack! Its a Hindu area and everywhere you go there are little offerings in the street of little flowers and incense burning. Its a little town FULL of shops and cafes. There are lots of nice places to eat and I have had some great, cheap veggie food.

Its a bit like Pie in Thailand in regards to the clothing!Very hippy and chilled out.

I have just really been exploring really for the past few days to be honest. I love people-watching and spending time drinking coffee and reading so its be lovely. Strangely since I have been away I have discovered a taste for coffee, not sure I want to add that to my big list of vices so only having 10 a day. Only joking about 2 a week!

Yesterday was the full moon so the locals were dressed in lovely clothes and leaving more offerings than normal.

Ubud market is AMAZING! Kerry paradise- trinkets galore! The things on sale are so beautiful. Been trying to think how I can get a 4ft Buddha back-just kidding Dad.

Anyway I am treating myself to a sea salt scrub and massage this afternoon. Lets hope its a nice experience this time hey! I still have nightmares about my blind masseuse.

I have booked myself on a full day cycling tour for some reason this weekend. It takes you all through Ubuds villages and Paddy fields so hopefully the pain will be worth it :)

Before I go, I must recommend a book I read in one day as I was hooked. Its called One moment, one morning by Sarah Raynor. If anyone wants a new book I would really recommend it. Its sad though -just a warning!

Comments

1

Hey sounds like your having such an adventure! What an amazing 5 or so months already ay? Love reading your blogs! Ubad sounds really cool! Looking forward to seeing you soon x

  Rachel Mar 9, 2012 5:31 AM

2

Hi , sounds great, try and get some photos of the artwork Kerry as you know I am interested in it, and I will look up that book too - have fun and don't forget to skype. xxx

  m Mar 9, 2012 9:42 PM

3

Hi Kerry,
Ubud sounds like an amazing place and very YOU! I'd love to do there myself, it sounds so peaceful and chilled. Well, other than the climate that is!! I can't believe that it's finally coming towards the end of your 6 month adventure. In the beginning it felt like such a very long time!...
Can't even begin to tell you how much you've been missed!! - so looking forward to catching up again & hearing all about everything.
Make the very most of your last few weeks Kerry & ENJOY!
Look forward to seeing you soon, Loads of Love xx

  Helen Mar 13, 2012 8:10 PM

About mudchild_11


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.