Existing Member?

I'm doing it!!

Boat journey from hell!

FIJI | Friday, 17 February 2012 | Views [808] | Comments [2]

Bula everyone,

So Fiji..I can look back now and laugh but my first couple of days were a nightmare!

As you probably knew there has been horrendous weather in Fiji-the worst for 10 years and its cyclone season too. I arrived early morning as was due to take the seaplane to the Nacula Island. Well as soon as they got the (very small) plane out, the rain had come, and boy did it rain!!

We were asked to go to a local place for lunch whilst they checked the weather but it was torrential. There was a couple waiting to get to the island too and poor them were on holiday so just wanted to get there. It became clear after a while that we were not going anywhere so I checked into a hotel. I then found out people had been stranded for days due to the weather. No one could tell me if the booat would run the next day and when I woke to the awful weather I thought I was stranded too. Luckily the bus came and we set off to the boat where I experienced my worst journey I have ever had.

I should have realised when they did an announcment to let us know that the sea conditions were extremly rough and we would have to sit for the journey. The catamaran drives daily up the Yasawa islands stopping at different islands-my stop was the last. 5 hours away.

From the start we were crashing up and down the waves -I cant explain it but at times we were mid air just flying through. People were so frightened including me. I was telling a guy opposite me how scared I was and he was saying it would be fun. 10 minutes later he is constantly throwing up like the rest of the boat. I later saw him passed out wrapped in blankets. He said he couldnt feel his arms or legs.  I think everyone on the boat almost was sick and very green. Luckily I dont get seasick.

When I didnt think the journey could get any worse,we hit a really rough part of the sea and the waves were giant! This is where I got really scared and had to hang on tight. If you didnt you went flying. I cant tell you the relief when we finally reached our stop. A small boat from the island collected us and even then we got soaked!

We finally got to the island to welcome drinks and music. I was so happpy to see lovely clean dorms with flowers on the bed. Blue lagoon looked gorgeous-apart from the weather.

I finally recovered from the journey and within a couple of days the sun had his hat on again!

To be contd...

xxxx

Comments

1

OMG!! Definitely, the boat trip from Hell! Poor you! So lucky that you don't get seasick! I turned green just reading about it!..
Anyway, so glad that you're now all safe and sound!
Really hope that once the storms cleared, and the sun was shining that Fiji lived up to your expectations! Look forward to the next instalment...
Take care & Have fun, Lots of Love xx

  Helen Feb 17, 2012 11:09 PM

2

Poor you that does sound awful , at least your safe and sound now! Hope your enjoying Fiji! Looking forward to the next blog ! Mwah x

  Rachel Feb 18, 2012 8:56 AM

About mudchild_11


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.