Existing Member?

I'm doing it!!

Melbourne and everyone needs good neighbours!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 17 February 2012 | Views [459] | Comments [1]

Hey everyone,

I have been so slack on the emails due to lack of time, no connection and hey too much sun and fun!

So I will start to fill you in on what I have been up to..

I took a flight from Sydney to Melbourne and after a quick flight with alot of turbalance I arrived in Melbourne.

My hostel was ok ish -not the best but better than my other experience. It did have see-through showers cubicles though which was pretty awful considering the shower is probably the only place you get to yourself in the city!

The first afternnon I just took in the city. Its such a cool city with a real coffee culture and lots of places to watch the world go by in.

I found a amazing fast food place called 'Lord of the fries' which is completly veggie so I got myself a meal and sat down by the river which is right in the city and found myself surrounded by seagulls!

By the time I goot back to the hostel is was getting late and I had an early night in preparation for my early start going on the Neighbours tour!

It was  such a fun tour-we got picked up by a hilarious Irish guide who could possibly be the bigggest Neighbours fan ever. Our first stop was the studios where everything is set apart from the street. Basically one building can double up as hospital/prison (yes a prison in Neighbours).

We got to meet one of the stars -I was hoping for Dr K or at Harold and I met one of the new stars that I didnt know but was still fun.

We then drove to the street which is actually a real street- similar to the Readens in a way but with less houses. Its so surreal as you feel like you have been there before as the houses are so familiar. It was funny to see Harold Bishops house so got some funny pictures from there. I may have to start sky plussing Neighbours again as its makes yyou realise how depressing Eastenders is in comparision. After all its not everyday that you can recover from cancer in a day or have a huge car crash and only spend a day in intensive care! Have you ever noticed too  that they all use the same bed in hospital?? hehe

We watched one funny scene that I remember so well-it was the scene when Harold 'died'.Did you notice how calm the water actually was? Never known anyone to be knocked off rocks by water so calm!

It was such a great experience so think I will definatey be tuning in again!

I spent the rest of my time in Melbourne exploring really. It really is such a nice place. So many joggers, cyclists and rowers-makes me want to get into exercse when I get back (kind of). There are lots of nice shops, cute alleyways where there are lovely boutiques and cute coffee shops. Ispent one day with Jemma who I previously met in Cambodia and Thailand. We had some lunch and then sat down by the river.

In the eve I met with Rachel and Clare from the tour and we had a few drinks in a roof top bar over-looking the city. We then had a bit of a dance in a club, finished off by a pie in Pieface. Pies are really big in Oz and this is basically like the McDonalds of the pie world. I always get the veggie pie with mash and mushy peas piled on top. YUM!  Randomally as we were enjoying our pies we met Steph from Neighbours so we were cheesy British Neighbours fans and posed for some pics!

Its so cool how close the beaches are to the city and the next day we took a tram to St Kildas which is only about 10 minutes away. Did a bit of sunbathing and had a farewell champagne lunch (free with the meal-I am a backpacker after all!) Really sad to say goodbye to the girls as it always is with everyone I meet.

After packing my bags I set off to the airport on the tram and bus enroute to Fiji!

Comments

1

Great having you back blogging Kerry! We've missed you!..
Melbourne sounds brilliant and definitely your kinda place, what with the lovely shops and coffee places etc., and nice places to hang out and people watch.
The neighbours tour sounded fun. I have to admit I haven't watched it for years, but think I'm gonna tune in again now!
Hope to chat soon - Miss you lots!! xx

  Helen Feb 17, 2012 11:02 PM

About mudchild_11


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.