Existing Member?

Scenic Route "One must go without familiars in order to be open to influences, to change". ~ K. Hathaway

Chicago to Brazil

BRAZIL | Sunday, 7 January 2007 | Views [580]

Well, I knew Chicago weather couldn't be trusted. So, I met the greatest lady on the delayed flight from Knoxville to Chicago. She works in education, Social and Environmental areas, and is affiliated with a few people from the Ministry of Education from Sao Paulo, Brazil. She really took my mind off of the fact that I would probably miss the connection from Chicago to Sao Paulo, which I did, (by 5 minutes). Tracy is wonderful! She picked me up at the airport at 11pm and allowed me to stay with her that night. We spent the next day in Chicago, having brunch, coctails on the 96th floor with Kari, and going to dinner at a Chicago pub with Tracy's husband Brad. The unexpected stop turned out to be wonderful!

Now, I am in Rio de Janeiro. My hostel, the Easy Hostel in Botofogo, is great so far. It is walled in and secure from the street with a very small pool in a flower and foilage filled courtyard. I am staying in a room with 5 other girls, two Brits that I have met, and am enjoying it. I had a quick look around the area today and bought beers and a pastry for less than 3 US $. Not bad. We are a few blocks from the beach, and are having a BBQ in the hostel tonight. I am directly across the street from 141 Rhua Bambina, which I have been told is a climbing gym. However, I have seen no evidence of that yet. I will go visit Urca tomorrow, probably, and see if I can meet some locals to climb it with. There is a 5.9 3 pitch slab up to the Christ statue. 

I will leave Rio on Tuesday morning and will probably stay here the whole weekend. It is worth the extra 2 $ they charge vs. other hostels. I luv you all, and I will post another soon, Mags

Tags: relaxation

About msteven6


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.