Existing Member?

UBUNTU "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

Some things I simply don't understand

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 7 February 2008 | Views [523] | Comments [2]

I don't quite know what to say or how to feel about this situation. Oscar is a man who works here and has been around since Nkosi was alive. He is one of the funniest, most sincere and kind hearted humans I have ever met. Last Thursday, I went with him and some others to help the grandmother and the children I told you all about. On our way home from there, he mentioned he used to have a drinking problem and after Nkosi died, he knew he had to stop. I didn't pry any further, but being a fellow alcoholic, I felt a connection with him. We were all supposed to go back this week to bring more things to the grandmother, but the unfortunate reality of the situation is that Oscar will die today. Last Friday night, he was run off the road by a drunk driver and has been in a coma ever since. His brain has continued to swell and there has been no progress, so he will be taken off life support today. I spent one day with the man and am so saddened by this. What kind of screwed up irony is it that he was killed by a drunk driver? It's a tough day and it's a sad day. Here was a man who turned his life around, was doing so much good for others and it was taken from him. Please, for those of you who drink, please grab a phone book and program your local taxi number in your phone and think twice before jumping behind the wheel after a night out. Please send your prayers for Oscar's family and friends. 

Tags: People

Comments

1

I am a friend of Brandi's from ACS, and have been following your blog. I am in the program, and am so touched by this post. It is impossible to understand why this happened, but it is so cool that for just knowing him 1 day, he made such a difference to you. However short his time was, it is obvious through your reflection that the impact he left on the world was not limited to his time here... Many prayers for the soul who took him from this world, that he may find the help he needs... Thanks for letting us share your journey with you! Peace :)

  Heather Feb 8, 2008 9:15 AM

2

Jen,
I am so sorry for the loss of Oscar for you and all that he has touched. I know your experience and knowledge gained this last year will be of great comfort and strength to all that come in contact with you. Blessings and love to you and yours. Cin

  Cindi Feb 12, 2008 11:30 AM

About msjensmith12


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.