Existing Member?

UBUNTU "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

Emotional Rollercoaster

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 2 February 2008 | Views [644] | Comments [4]

This week has been filled with fear, laughter, tears, sweat, and blood. The trivial highlights of the week consisted of the mothers here at the Village teaching me how to cook and I only needed two band aids after peeling potatoes and grating carrots for two hours! For those of you who don't know my lack of skills in the kitchen, for me to only need two band aids was a feat in itself. 

Roman, Antonia, and I have begun exercising every night and running around the property for at least thirty minutes. We have found it is good therapy for rough days we have. The funniest part about it, is that I run with a head lamp on so that we can all see. It is truly entertaining for the security guys who sit back and call us silly, white kids.

I went to the actual Haven on Monday. there are about twenty mothers and about fifty children. It was utter chaos and all the children were completely fascinated with my tattoos and earrings and tolod me my "hair is like china" (because it is black). It was fun, but I have decided I would rather work here at the Village with the sick patients. I never thought I would be changing diapers on a 33 year old, paralyzed woman and actually looking forward to it, but there is something special about her trusting me to help her and bathe and feed her every morning. Her name is Tuli and she truly is an amazing woman.

Gugu decided she wanted to play with her gum and it took me an hour to get it, and the grass she had stuck to it, off her fingers. She continues to be my sunshine every day, even though she can be a bit of a pain when it is her bedtime. My favorite is in the mornings before she goes to school and she walks towards me, her arms too tired to lift them to hug me, and she falls into my open arms with sleepy eyes and a partial smile. I have no idea how I am going to leave this child behind when I return to the states.

Amanda (the 15 year old who was raped) and I have become like sisters now. I found out she enjoys writing and reading poetry, so I give her a new poem and inspirational quotes to read every morning and then we talk about them in the afternoon. She even wrote a poem on Ubuntu in her Zulu language and made me a copy and explained it to me. We went to the hospital this past Thursday to get her HIV results and they were negative and so I went to her counseling session with her, regarding the fact that she would be in the acute phase if she had contracted it, which means it wouldn't show up and she needs to get tested again in April, so please keep her in your prayers. She still has to be in isolation from the other mothers until we get her TB test results back, so she and I have been hanging out in the garden a lot and playing cards. I try to spoil her with candy and other things as much as possible - she has a great life ahead of her and a second chance now, thanks to Nkosi's Haven.

This morning, I went with some people to Soweto, which is the black township here with five million occupants! We heard of a grandmother who was raising 8  kids in a shack, with no toilet, clothing, food, etc. So we brought food, mattresses, clothing, blankets, and toys for the kids. The shack was made of brown paper bags and metal sheets and was 10 x 12 at most. Feces were all over the "yard" and they had one bed for all of them. It was horrible, but I was so happy we were able to help them. We are going back next week to bring more things to them and will hopefully get the kids enrolled in school. How these people maintain smiles on their faces remains a mystery to me, but continues to be an inspiration.


Other than that, I am settling into my life here for now and will make the most of my time. Tomorrow, I have promised Amanda that I will put on my climbing shoes and climb up the giant coconut tree in our yard for her entertainment. She thinks I am crazy, but we have to get creative here, lol. Sunday, the girls and I are going with some friends to a national park to see elephants and lions - woohoo, bring on the wildlife!

I hope you all are well and please continue to keep me and the people around me here, in your prayers and don't forget to cherish everything you have. Lots of love.

Ubuntu.

Tags: Friends

Comments

1

Jen,
Just wanted you to know how proud of you I am and how often you are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you much! Cin

  Cindi Feb 4, 2008 3:09 PM

2

Hi Jen....Your trip to Afria is so inspiring! You go girl.....You rock! Hope the trip to see the elephants and lions was fun. Take care......Love, Susan S.

  Susan Smallwood Feb 5, 2008 3:39 AM

3

Hey Jennifer!

Finally had time to sit down and read your entries. Well, Dorothy...your'e not in Austin anymore! I hope this finds you getting over your cold/flu/whatever. Boy, oh, boy are you missing some political fun around here. After today, the Republican candidate should be fairly well set-John McCain [0r as some call him Republican-lite :) ] and Hil and Barack are neck-n-neck. Just had to throw in some politics here. The big news is the Britney Spears circus. Perhaps she would do well to serve in a place where you are to get her life in perspective. Or,maybe she is just crazy as a loon...see, you really don't miss much over here! Take care of yourself and take lots of pictures.

Your blogs are very good. I am enjoying seeing this through your eyes. Be careful which way you point on the road :)

  Twitchell Feb 6, 2008 8:30 AM

4

Hi Jen,

I find your blogs very interesting being someone from Africa. I like what you said about the family living in the shack in Soweto. It called the African resilience. Most people don't understand it but we as a people have that and try not to stress the little things. African 'RESILIENCE'... smiles, contentment and happiness even in the midst of having nothing and I mean nothing. There's a saying in Akan(Ghana) and its talks about having life and having it all.

I guess that's what God has blessed us as Africans with. I am forever thankful for what I have today and what I don't have tomorrow. I am happy you're there and you get to see the different sides of our beautiful continent...

I very much enjoy reading your blogs. Nzuri sana (very good)

'Asante Sana' (Thank you in Kiswahili)

  VITA Feb 7, 2008 8:55 AM

About msjensmith12


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.