Existing Member?

UBUNTU "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

Reality Check

SOUTH AFRICA | Sunday, 27 January 2008 | Views [857] | Comments [3]

Yesterday, as we were walking to the mall and I was coming out of my cold medicine induced coma, I realized "Oh crap! I'm actually in South Africa!" It was followed with laughter by Roman and Antonia as they both simply looked over and said, "Welcome!" After doing a little shopping we jumped in another battered mini bus to head home and the driver entered to say, "Sambonini!" (which means - hello all - in a form of zulu) so I replied "Sambona!" (meaning hello) He was surprised and asked me, "Oh, you understand?" and I answered, "Si!" Now for those of you who don't know, "si" is yes in Italian and Spanish...oh well, at least I got the first part correct.

Antonia and I decided that Gugu needed a day away from the Village so last night at dinner we promised her we would take her to the mall today for ice cream and popcorn and we all had a good night's sleep to get our day started this morning. I woke up around 6am to sunlight and a clear blue sky, which hasn't happened since I arrived. So naturally I ran outside and sat in the garden all morning doing some reading and writing while two peacocks roamed around me. (btw, if your american skin hasn't seen sunlight in about a month, i would advise wearing sunscreen when in african sunlight for the first time - i look like an apple)

The doctor called to me this morning to let me know we received a new patient in last night and we would need to help out a little more than usual in the sick bay. My first task of the day, was to help bathe a 46 year old woman who has AIDS and is paralyzed in all four limbs. Walking into the room, the woman was lying there naked and I can only imagine how hard it must be for her to have to rely on strangers to take care of her. It was one of those situations where you simply don't know where to look that wont be inappropriate or demeaning to the patient. Once again though, I am thankful this place is here so she can get the help she needs.

Gugu, Antonia, Elthea (our 57 year old nurse) and I all headed out to the mall shortly thereafter. Gugu had such a fun day riding on my back, gobbling down pizza, popcorn, AND ice cream! It was so easy to get out of here and forget about what was really happening here at the village, but immediately on our return, some bad news was about to pull us all a bit down.

One of the patients is dying, literally you can see her dying. She has been in and out of the hospitals and they have brought her back so many times and she is at her end. The volunteer doctor doesn't know her situation and just arrived at the Village a couple of weeks ago and called for the ambulance to come get her and take her to the hospital, but that is not what she wants. She simply wants to die in peace, here at the Village among those who are caring for her. Elthea, our nurse came into our cottage crying and broke down because she had made a promise to the patient to not send her back to the hospital where they treat her like a dog and are too busy taking care of gunshot or stabbed victims. So we talked with her for a while and we all went to the bedside of the patient and it took everything in me that I had not to break down at that moment. It is just like you see on television, the woman is skin and bones and looks so hollow. This morning she had a small grin on her face when I told her hello, but that was about it. The difference on seeing something like this on television is that you are removed from it and you can change the channel if you would like, but she was right in front of me. She lays on her death bed not even one hundred feet from where I get a good night's rest every night. This is reality and this was my reality check.

The paramedics came and she instantly had a look of fear in her face because she does not want to die in a hospital so she refused to go and they couldn't take her. The doctor is angry with everyone because he wants her to go so they can try and continue to save her, but it is the woman's choice. Elthea and the rest of us are going to be on call all night so that there is someone sitting with her at all times when she passes and to say this is difficult is an understatement.

Words really can't express what I am feeling inside at the moment. I have never stared death in the face like this, but this happens every day, all over the world. I just hope that by reading some of this, you will all be a little more appreciative of the people and loved ones in your life, of the things you have worked hard for, of the talents and gifts you have been blessed with. For me, please call someone you love today and tell them how much they mean to you. Just take five minutes out of your busy day and put a smile on someone's face. I miss and love you all.

Ubuntu

Tags: People

Comments

1

I will be calling you soon !!!

  Brandi Jan 28, 2008 10:22 AM

2

Made some calls today, as you must having been pushing through my mind. I will make a few more tonight. You are a wonderful young lady! Thank you for the woman you are! I love you! Cin

  Cindi Jan 30, 2008 1:38 PM

3

You are one of the strongest people I know. I just cannot fully fathom what you are going through and what you are seeing. But I do know that you are making a difference in the world and the lives of those you are meeting. Sending big big hugs!

  Brandi Mar 12, 2008 4:42 AM

About msjensmith12


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.