Existing Member?

UBUNTU "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

"Wake up! What's your name?"

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 23 January 2008 | Views [598] | Comments [3]

Once I finally arrived in Joburg, I didn't know which way was up or down. After being awake for 48 hours in cramped planes and airport lobbies, even the overcast, rainy skies of South Africa looked like heaven. Gail picked me up upon arrival and she is just as I had expected - loud, smoker, doesn't understand the purpose of "dry" counties in the United States, bouts of road rage and scatter brained moments, and so beautifully crazy you can't help but be intrigued with her and instantly love her at the same time. We ran a couple of errands as she pointed out different areas of the city and I truly mean this when I say they have more elaborate mansions here than Beverly Hills. There is so much money in South Africa that it really makes you wonder why there is no middle class and you go from having a mansion to then the next block over, having a shanty town and "homes" with no doors and such. We made it to the Village, which is where I am living, and she introduced me to everyone and they helped get my bags and show me around.

Everyone spoke of the little girl, Gugu, who is 4 years old, HIV positive and is an orphan who Gail took in here at the Village. They kept telling me she would steal my heart, but she was not in sight and I figured I would meet her another time. There are only five mothers here at the village and four kids and of course this is where the volunteers live. There is a journalist from Norway who just arrived and will be here for six months and she lives in a cottage with Dr. Mick who is from Israel. I live in a cottage with Antonia and Roman who are both from Germany and around 20 years old. They have been here for 7 months and are two of the kindest people I have ever met. We are getting two more female volunteers this week. Our cottage has two rooms, my romo has two sets of bunk beds and we have two bathrooms, two couches, and a television and computer. Ironically enough, Roman and Antonia are watching America's Next Top Model right now and the girls on the show are in South Africa - makes me laugh.

So I passed out as soon as Antonia made my bed and was woken up seven hours later by two small hands on my chest, a tiny African child in a pink jumpsuit with a smile that would melt your heart as she yelled "Wake up! What's your name?" I knew immediately, this was the infamous Gugu and I was instantly in love. She proceeded to tell me it was time for supper and got my shoes for me to help me put them on and then handed me my lip gloss so I could put some on her and she then grabbed my hand and led the way. She sat on my lap all through dinner and trust me when I say that if I could somehow fit her in my backpack, she would be coming home with me. It was the best way to wake up.

Supper was great and then Gugu came back with us to our cottage and we played together. I took some photos of her and then she decided it was her turn to be the photographer and ran around taking pictures of us and giggled each time the flash went off. Play time was over and Antonia took her up to the main building to get Gugu's ARV's for the night. She must stay on top of her medication because she is HIV positive and thay help to keep it under control.

The mothers here either greet you with a smile or look straight down. I can't imagine some of the things they have seen, but their resolve is impressive. I have only been here and awake for an evening, and already my life has changed. Those little things that bothered me on the plane, or the fact I have a cold right now, it all seems so trivial. I am truly blessed to have this opportunity.

This week will be spent here at the Village, acclimating to my surroundings and then my work will start next week. Each morning we get picked up at 7am and are transported to Nkosi's Haven where there are 59 children and 20 mothers. We stay there until about 6pm each evening and then return to the Village for supper. Weekends are ours to do what we wish and I am already scouting out rock climbing and such. More updates and hopefully pictures soon to come. I love you all.

Ubuntu

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

OMG what a wonderful start to a perfect journey you are on. The part about little Gugu brought tears to my face. I am at work now...last night was tough because I thought about you and was hoping things were going well. I have shared this blog with my coworkers. My desk mate next to me (the one you spoke with ) is loving your blog.

I miss you dearly and am thankful you arrived safely.

Love you my hero

  Brandi Jan 23, 2008 12:41 PM

2

Is there a physical address where I can send you an actual letter or package in the mail??

  Brandi Jan 23, 2008 12:49 PM

3

You are the bravest person I know (this past year, plus getting on a plane and going across the world to a totally new and scary situation). I'm so proud to count myself as one of your friends. Have SUCH an amazing time and keep updating your blog so I can keep track of your crazy self :)

  Shosh Jan 24, 2008 7:51 AM

About msjensmith12


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.