Existing Member?

The South American Dream A long time coming...

So the adventure begins...

ICELAND | Monday, 28 February 2011 | Views [703]

It seems to have taken ages to come around but crept up so quickly. The week before I left was crazy from realising there was hole in my bag to finding a 'specalist' who I had to instruct on how to fix it and what material to use to waking up 10 minutes before my taxi was due to arrive to take me to the airport! Enough time to throw my last minute things in a bag but no time for final checks. At least it felt grateful for waking up every half hour or so in the night, worring I'd miss my flight...a sixth sense kicking in.    

In the cab, a BMW blacked out windows car and a wannabe RnB singer (like the guy on the bus the night before playing his music for all to hear blasting on a Blackberry whilst he tried to rap/sing the occassional words he knew making out he was the bees knees)  Only this guy listering to some other terrible RnB tracks euch as the classic tune "Just send me a text", of which there was no other lyrics to except for the word "girl" ocassionaly and which was playing when I left the car.  Anyway the cabbie was a good guy really and he saved my bacon by asking the question "Which terminal did you want?" at the beginning of the ride.  Me, going into panic mode realising I hadn´t checked, actually just assuming the taxi controller who said {terminal one was right. My cabbie however, lay down a different theory, it would be number three. So this is probably the only time when my cheapy phone (which isn´t even recognised on the Nokia site) was actually able to search the web and from cheapparking.net confirmed it was terminal three that was required. Thanks Mr Cabbie, I appreciate it especially as you were working so hard.

Check in was straight forward with the incorrect signs (Cathay Pacific instead of American Airlines, check in with bags despite checking in with a bag, and having an ESTA even if I was just passing through America and wasnt supposed to stop).  

Said goodbye to Tetley teabags despite the new travelpack invention which I thought was genius and shouldve been bought out a long time before. Got my last Easter Eggs (I{ve been scoffing them for 3 weeks so I don{t miss out this year)

Tetley on the move

I say goodbye to England, watching the patchwork countryside get smaller and smaller, find a double seat to have to myself and start to relax into the journey.  There is an announcement a couple of hours in asking for a doctor, a man is will, the next thing I know, an hour or so later is that we are decending to Iceland, another place I´ve wanted to go but this is a detour and I´m told its unlikely I´ll reach Colombia today. 

We arrive into Keflavik, Iceland looks like how Id imagine the moon to look like, baron landscape, covered in sections of ice and what looks like crators, lots of brown and baron landscapre after the cold harshness of the winter.  Its 2.28 local time when we arrive an d7 degrees c.  I don´t know what the time difference is and I wasnt sure of the language or the currency here.

Airport to the moon

We ended up spending 2 hours on the plane in Iceland and an extra 3 hours flying time, no extra food (although I did get a first class salad complete with real cutlery as I couldnt have the pizza economy class ate), we eventually arrive in Miami 7.30pm, 5 hours late, having missed my connection. 

Tags: airport, america, beach, iceland, miami, start

About moomazza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.