Existing Member?

Hi Mum

Phnom Penh 16th - 17th March

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 17 March 2016 | Views [274]

We got up fairly early on the 16th to get to the Toul Sleung Prison S21 for 10am. We hired a tuk tuk for the day for $20 so he drove us there and then waited outside for us.
 
Prison S21 was one of the main prisons of torture during the Khmer Rouge's rule and the tour was graphic to say the least. It costs $6 to go in and that includes hire of an audio guide which makes the content of the museum really come to life in both a good and a bad way. It was really hard hitting and so difficult to listen to and see but I am definitely glad we went. I can't really say too much about it because I really struggle even thinking about it really and it was definitely the saddest place we've visited. 
 
After that our tuk tuk driver took us to the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek which are about 15km outside of Phnom Penh. Choeung Ek is just one of thousands of killing fields across cambodia but is the most famous of them. Again the fields were hard and you get given an audio guide with the entrance so again it brings it all to life, for better and worse. 
 
By the time we got back to the hostel it was about 4 o clock so we had a lunch-dinner and packed up ready for our flight the next morning. 
 
We had to leave the hostel at about half 8 to get to the airport at half 9ish and we ended up getting a tuk tuk there which was a little squashed but not too bad because it didn't last long. The flights were thankfully very uneventful with some good films to watch on board which was nice. I watched Still Alice on the first flight and then part of Blue Jasmine on the second. I also bought a massive bar of dairy milk at the Kuala Lumpur airport which was really expensive (definitely too expensive at $8) but I got all excited when I saw it. 
 
Cambodia was incredible, it was so beautiful and the people were some of the loveliest we've met I think. We all had a really fantastic time there and loved it. 
 
We arrived to Bali Denpasar airport in Indonesia at about 6.30 and got a taxi to our hostel which was called Funky Monkey hostel in Kuta Bali (lots of monkey themed hostels at the moment). Because we got meals on both the planes we decided to skip dinner and just had some snacky bits and headed to bed.
 
Thats all for now! Lots of love. 

 

About mm12767


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.