Existing Member?

Hi Mum

Luang Prabeng 15th - 17th February

LAOS | Wednesday, 17 February 2016 | Views [308]

When we arrived in Luang Prabeng we were all starving so we walked into town and found the night market which had so much food. We settled on a buffet style stall for 1500 kip which is just over a pound. It was amazing, you could fill your bowl once with anything for less than a pound. We walked around the market for a while which has all the usual stuff found in the markets, bits of clothes, jewellery, etc but it also had some stuff made from old bombs which are all over Laos, Amy bought some chopsticks made from an old bomb which are really cool. We then headed back to the hostel because we were all pretty tired. 
 
In the morning of the 16th we had a bit of a lie in and wandered down into the town to see what it was like in the light. Its a really nice town, quite quiet but still pretty cool. We then all clambered into a minivan to go to Kuang Si waterfalls. The waterfalls were beautiful and so blue it was unreal. The water looks like it was treated to be so blue but it was all natural. We had a bit of a swim ( it was so cold and there were those fish that nibble your skin which was gross) and then took a wander further up, stopping for a Cafe Lao on the way. Laos has a lot of french influence apparently, so there are cute little cafes and pastries everywhere. Its lovely. We also had such a beautiful baguette for lunch, mine was avocado and laughing cow cheese with salad. So tasty. The roads here are less than desirable and the driver was horrific, there was a very near miss with a lorry that terrified us all. 
 
We arrived back safe and sound (luckily) and we headed out for some dinner. We had heard a lot about this cool bar utopia so decided to head there for food. Little did we know that this bar is impossible to find, it took forever so we gave up and ate somewhere on the way. The food was average and the woman was so sneaky, adding 10,000 kip onto each persons meal. She did have the most adorable son that kept coming over to use our chopsticks as drumsticks though so it wasn't all bad. 
 
We finally found utopia and we could understand the hype. We had some beers between us and it was so backpackers. Quite edgy and very 'cool', but we liked it. 
 
The next day we left Luang Prabeng for Vang Vieng. I liked Luang Prabeng a lot, Laos in general is beautiful and quite similar to Thailand but quite a bit less touristy which is nice. 
 
Will update soon, my tablet has broken (it broke during our boat fiasco) so it makes it harder to blog but I will try! 

 

About mm12767


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.