Existing Member?

Miriam Explores

Shocking surfing but delightful diving!

INDONESIA | Friday, 25 September 2009 | Views [587]

Whilst in Kuta i decided to take a surf lesson as its meant to be an amazing place to surf... not for me!  After about 2 hours of standing up for one second and then dramatically falling off, i gave up.  I had been totally abused by the surf board and even now (after 6 days!) i still have 3 massive bruises.  Seriously, i was in so much pain i just wanted to cry - surfing was not the dream i had imagined!!

I left Kuta to head North to Lovina and begin my PADI diving course - i was praying that i would like diving and would be good at it (unlike the surfing).  I met 2 great girls on the bus to Lovina and have been hanging out with them all the time I'm not in my class.

I have been really lucky and have had 1 2 1 tuition for diving for the past 3 days with a lovely instructor who held my hand and made me feel so safe in the water.  The first day we spent in the pool just learning and practicing skills, like using alternate air source, taking off your mask, emergency ascent etc.  The next day we carried out the skills i had learnt but out in the open water... it was amazing!!  I saw sea cucumbers, clown fish, barrel coral and so many beautiful colored fish i don't know the names of.  I was well chuffed with myself to have gone down 10 meters and been totally fine with all the tasks i was set.

Today (day 3) a group of us went to an island just off Lovina and my instructor and I went down to 18 meters and again, saw the most amazing marine life.  I knew i could dive and was comfy in the water but i was a bit worried about the written exam - i'd done no work as i ended up handging out with the girls i met and time just vanished!  Needless to say i passed with flying colours  - so happy - i now just want to dive more and more!

Tomorrow, Rose and I are heading to the Gili islands for a few days and then maybe to Lombok... we have no plan which i like!  Hopefully i can dive on the Gili islands - money depending.  Dad, if you want to send any funds... feel free!

Anyway, having an amazing time and its only 1 weeks until Andy arrives so very excited about October 3rd :-)


I hope all is well back home, love to you all.

M xxxx

About miriamexplores


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.