Existing Member?

Miriam Explores

Langkawi disaster!

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 25 August 2009 | Views [465]

After a few scorching hot days in KL, Han and I decided we needed some beach time... Langkawi is reknowned for its perfect paradise beaches so we booked a cheap flight and some cheap accomodation for the next day.  We were sooo excited it was unbelieveable and couldn't wait to arrive.

We nearly didn't arrive as we had to circle the airport for a good 30 mins and wait for the weather to clear before it was safe to land - torrential rain is an understatement!  We were glad we had arrived and hoped it would be good weather the next day... we then got a taxi to our hostel.  Well, it certainly was not a hostel! A barn with MDF boards to make a 'room' would be a better description!  I cannot describe how terrible it was - there was no window, the walls didn't meet the ceiling, it didn't have a light good enough to read a book and well i didn't even sit on the bed as it looked so old and uncomfy.  I was just in shock and didn't know what to say!  We had already paid so knew we had lost 1 night's money but didn't care and decide to look for a new place immediately.

We were about to leave and start looking for a new room and the owner / manager collered us (Irish lady about 40)and explained the drinks system, showed us the TV area, internet and the 'swimming pool'.  Oh how we laughed when we saw the 'pool'!!  It was a round paddling pool overflowing with water and looked rediculous!  She was so excited and explained how she had had "so many parties" and "great times with 18 adults in the pool".  She must have been insane!  So, we wandered off and found a room directly on the beach - it was clean, comfy and had an en-suite.  It was 90 Ringitt per night (16 pounds) which was more than we had hoped to pay but there was no way we were staying in the shack with the crazy Irish lady!

We got some of our money back and walked in the rain to our new pad - such a relief!  Well, a relief until the next day came and it wasn't sunny!! We were so mad - all we wanted was some sunshine!  We had a bit of time on the beach as it was warm, but then the rain came...

We were so fed up that we got the ferry to Penang that evening and were just glad to get off the island - we had 24 hours in so-called paradise!  We met some girls on the ferry who hooked us up with a good guesthouse (30 Ringitt per room!) and we felt things were finally going our way...     

About miriamexplores


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.