Existing Member?

Shells Travelling Adventures Snap shot of my life in Canada!

Preview of the hill YAYAH!

CANADA | Saturday, 4 December 2010 | Views [710]

Found our tree

Found our tree

Went up the hill on Monday 22nd for Supervisor training and they told Tom, our boss, that they were going to open the hill for the weekend of the 27th and 28th and then close again, so stoked! Did training and then worked up there all week cos there was heaps to do before opening on the saturday. On the Wednesday morning we decided we would drive Blue up the hill cos it was annoying having to rely on others to drive us around. It was about -30 when we got up and Blue was not having a bar of it, wouldn't start. Our flattie drove us up so it was sweet but it was so freakin cold!! It stayed really cold for a few more days and then warmed up to -5 or so.

Met some of our crew up the hill and they all seem sweet and willing to work which is awesome.

Either Marsh or I had to work the Saturday morning and it was snowing all day friday but my foot was still not that great so I worked and let Marsh get fresh tracks which he was extremely stoked with! I got off work at 1.30pm and went up the hill and my foot was all good although the bunion bone was really sore. Sunday I went up all day and skiied with some Extra Foods people that I found. Marsh came up for a bit in the arvo but my legs were way too sore from the 6 hours of riding already. Work was so so hard that night but will be getting used to it soon.

On Tuesday the 30th Laura, Michael, Marsh and I all went out and chopped down a Christmas tree which was neat. There's so much snow, we were all jumping in it and making snow angels. Got a sweet tree and went for a ride on Michael's snowmobile - wicked fun. Was snowing so hurt the face a bit but still super awesome.

Went to The Pub again on Tuesday night for wings and drinks cos it was the last night Marsh and I will be able to do anything together until we finish work. Was good to get out too, wasn't too chilly walking around either.

Sarah and Dan have been making wine so I've got all the stuff to do it and going to start making some tomorrow night.

Wednesday 1st Dec, Marsh started work up the hill and got a flat tire. Changed it up the hill with another guy from work and got it fixed but we couldn't work out the jack so had to call roadside assistance today and got them to put the fixed one back on. So all sweet now! Marsh also broke the window wiper when he was getting the ice off the windscreen so had to get another on the those. Got a sweet winter on though, so it doesn't stick at all, handy like andy.

Looking forward to opening day tomorrow. Heading up the New side of the mountain with a Canadian guy we meet up there, who does the snow shoveling - Pete. Old side was open last weekend so want to check out the rest. Hopefully the legs are all good cos on monday they were so freakin sore, walking to Extra Foods was so not sweet. New board was awesome though, took a bit of getting used to. When I first strapped in I couldn't even turn haha, was funny! I started riding switch, reverting, doing small jumps and ollies. Was doing everything pretty sweet except the jumps. Did a couple on good ones so just need to keep trying. We got these DVD's that break down the moves real well so should be able to get it sorted.

Wednesday 1st and Thursday 2nd we got more snow, abot 20cm each night.

About 2 weeks ago my toes started to get sore when I was walking to work. It felt like a nerve was being pinched every time I put pressure on it. It kept getting worse until one day I could hardly walk at all. Found on the net that i have Metatarsalgia which is when the nerve between the 3rd and 4th toes is inflamed and it's really painful whenever you put pressure on it. It's caused from bunions and high arch feet so that's why I have it. Treatments are wearing my orthodics that i should have been wearing the whole time and RICE. So I got out my orthodics and put them into my snow boots and shoes from work. Each day it started to get better and I can walk normally now, after about a week. I still can't put full pressure on my foot on hard surfaces but it's getting better for sure. I'll be getting the treatment when we are back in Aussie for sure. I should have done it when I was there last and had more money grrrrrrr!

Looking into flights to Hawaaii for next year too. Will probably be able to go if we do this summer camp thing cos we will have more money at the end of that. Hopefully can lock something in soon.

Got our seasons pass the other day too. Got the park pass as well. Gutted, we can't get the refund for our seasons pass cos they will take our staff pass off us when we finish work so we wouldn't be able to go up the hill after that so we just kept the one we paid for and will get a staff benefit card.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.