Existing Member?

Not all who wander are lost. I'm letting the world change me... so I can change the world.

Slow Week at the Clinic

BELIZE | Thursday, 30 August 2007 | Views [439] | Comments [1]

It’s been slow at the clinic this week.  The ambulance that usually drives the staff out for Mobile clinics is being used in town – so, we stay in San Antonio. I have made 6 handouts on various diseases and health concern that plague the villagers in Southern Toledo. Parasites, Diabetes and Nutrition, Scabies, Prenatal Health, Worms and High Blood Pressure. I have become very skilled at Microsoft Publisher.

 

I am even better at filing medical papers and patient files, decent at imputing pharmacy records and proficient in taking vitals for the nurses. A well rounded education in NGO clinic work, and a lot cheaper that going to Baker for a Liberal Arts education experience.

 

If this sounds sarcastic… it probably is. I think I have hit a slump in my time in San Antonio, and I have only been here a month. I wanted excitement and adventure – I wanted to make a difference. I know that I am helping; it’s just hard to see.

 

Let’s see… exciting things that happened this week. A man was cut with a machete across the shoulder and chest on Saturday. Our nurse attended to him, across the road from where I live, inside the bush and then transported home to P.G. Hospital. We don’t know how he is doing.

I watched the Bourne Ultimatum on DVD, bootlegged from Germany (all the moves here are bootlegged from somewhere, all new release, and they only cost $4USD) Tried out the coffee shop in P.G. It’s owned by an American, Julie, from Californian.

 

That’s about it. Trying to go to Guatemala this weekend, as it is Lex’s last one. I promise the next one won’t be so grumpy… it’s already been a long week.

Cheers!

Megan

Tags: Random

Comments

1

Hi Megan,

I love that you have a journal online. Maybe you can get it published and tell the USA/world what's really going on out there.

We are so proud of you, and the work you are doing over there. Keep enjoying it now while your young. hahahha.

Love you,
Tammy~

  Tammy Ellison Sep 6, 2007 4:56 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.