Existing Member?

Footprints

Back to Wales again

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 26 May 2011 | Views [831] | Comments [2]

Last week was our first proper holiday with little man.  We were in the US for Christmas, but with all the family around to lend a hand.. it didn't really prepare us for what to expect when we had to do it alone.  Aidan said he was more tired after the holiday than when we had left (and that was after a work week of getting home around 11pm every night!).  It's amazing how much energy a seven month old can consume.  We did have a very nice time, and did the usual walks and mountain biking.. but we both could have used a lot more sleep.  We decided next holiday to just save the effort and stay home!  I think the real shock was due to the fact we stayed at the same place we went to last fall, when I was eight months pregnant.  It was the comparison between the two identical holidays that gave us the reality check.

Finn testing out the couch for comfort (I think this one passed!)

Rowan giving it a test too.

Putting his foot into his mouth

And the consequence of biting down on his toe with his two new teeth (he's not yet made the connection).

Aidan after a muddy bike ride, having a cuddle with his son.


Enjoying a rare bit of sunshine in the yard of the rented cottage.

Evening sunset as viewed from the back porch.  Unfortunately it wasn't viewed long, due to the biting midges. 

Rowan taking a break from shopping to play with some toys in the park


Aidan looking 'oh-so-handsome' with a bit of a beard and freckles of mud (he had just returned from a bike ride).  This picture was taken during our coffee 'date', as luck would have it Rowan had just fallen asleep in his pushchair when Aidan came to collect us from the village after his ride.. so Aidan and I enjoyed a leisurely coffee at a lovely veggie cafe where I had had lunch earlier in the day. 


Bluebells on the welsh hills.  Neither Aidan nor I had seen them in Wales before, I don't think we've been there this time of year yet.  They finished in Surrey weeks ago.. but they were in the height of bloom there. 

More views of the bluebells


The happy (sleep deprived) parents

Rowan taking a bit of exercise at the rest stop play ground, with a bit of help from daddy.

Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures this holiday.  In part due to the wet weather, the camera didn't make it out often.. but usually because I had my hands full with one very active little boy! 

Comments

1

What? No cockleshells?! LOL. Loved the photos of the happy sheep and the bluebells! And of your handsome boy on the sofa. Oh dear, those poor little toes! Your descriptions made me feel like I was right there with you, Melissa Nicely done. We are currently enjoying a two-week vacation on Hatteras Island. No fields of bluebells, but my, the hydrangeas are purty. :-) Thanks for sharing your holiday pics with all of us; we're excited to know we will see you and Aidan in July...and to get our hands on baby Rowan before he's grown and off to university! Time go fly! See you in July! Aunt Sherry

  Aunt Sherry May 26, 2011 12:39 PM

2

Mel,
So happy to see your holiday post! Looks like you all had fun! Rowan sure is growing quickly! Loved the bluebells and the pic of the happy parents! Nice to see Finn again, too. I'm with my mom - your writing made it feel like we were right there with you!
Big hugs,
Rel

  Rel May 26, 2011 7:26 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.