Existing Member?

Footprints

Chamonix

FRANCE | Friday, 20 February 2009 | Views [820]

Aidan and I spent Valentines Day in Chamonix France, there for a quiet weekend of skiing.  Aidan flew out Thursday morning, and I was to meet him over there after I finished work.. but they canceled my flight and I didn't end up leaving London until Friday morning.  Rather irritating because I missed a day of skiing, but I got there in the end.  Saturday we went with a guide to Italy (only about half an hours drive, most of which is in a tunnel through the center of a mountain!).  We were able to ski routes that were unavailable to others without guides, so got to see some really untouched areas.  It made me a bit nervous as he kitted each one of us out with a folding shove, folding snow prod, and a radio transmitter.. then proceeded to give a lecture about listening to his directions specifically, if he says to wait and go one at a time then we need to do that.. same as when he says we must go together very quickly.. that we need to stop only where and when he stops, etc.  All this to prepare us in the case of avalanche.  Pretty scary stuff.. especially because few people survive them, and usually only those who are well trained in what to do.  Once your buried it settles like cement around you, so you're stuck until someone else can dig you out (hence the shovels and snow prods).  They have to get to you quick, because with snow pressed to your face, lips, and nose you might as well be underwater.  Obviously if it had been a high risk that day, we wouldn't have been out there.. but there is always some risk any day, it was a rather sobering idea to start the day with.  Luckily it was needless worry, and we had an amazing day of skiing off-piste.. plus getting a bit of an education about the Italians(!).

Sunday was skiing in France on piste runs.. it was quite good to go fast over freshly groomed surfaces.. my legs were so tired from the day before!  Another beautiful day of skiing.. and lots of fun spending time with my boy!

 

All in all, a most memorable Valentines Day. 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.